2| Introductions

Chapter 2: Introductions (Alex's POV)

I sat down with a huff, waiting for class to begin. Carter came in and took his usual seat behind me while Ms. Rodriguez walked in and began teaching. I've been learning Spanish for almost four years now and I still know nothing. 

Why is it that when a student studies a language, it becomes ten times harder to learn? Some mysteries shall remain just that... mysteries. 

"Si?" she asked looking in my direction. 

I didn't say anything? 

"Can I go to the bathroom?" 

"En español por favor," she shook her head. It is so annoying when teachers do that. Like why? 

He huffed, and rolled his eyes, leaning forward. "How do you say that in Spanish?" he whispered. 

I take it he's asking me because nobody else is sitting in front of him right now unless there's a magic wall separating us. "¿Puedo ir al baño?" I answered without turning around. 

"Si, señora Lockhart," she nodded at me. 

"Lo Siento," I apologized. 

He then asked her what I had told him and she reluctantly gave him permission. 

Bitch. 

Does she wanna hear that in Spanish too? 

The bell finally rang after ages and I was out of there. I hate that woman. 

◆:*:◇:*:◆:*:◇:*:◆

The day was finally over and I was on my way home. I got to my porch and already heard yelling inside. My dad was supposed to work from home today because he has a flight out tomorrow to meet a client. 

She didn't even let him work? 

I sighed, contemplating going inside or just going somewhere else. I'll take the latter. I opened the door and left my backpack by the door before turning around and heading out, specifically, to the cafe. I walked in and ordered an iced tea because hot tea isn't an afternoon drink, at least for me. 

I sat down and took out my laptop which I did bring with me. I started on some of the homework I had, it just made sense to get it out of the way, and then my name was called. 

"Alex!" 

I went up, got my drink, and sat back down. 

"Hi, can I take your order?" I looked up in confusion and saw a guy in the uniform from the cafe. He seemed new because I'd never seen him before. 

"I already got it, thanks," I smiled. 

"I know," he nodded, "I was just hoping I could talk to you, I'm Asher," he grinned, sticking his hand out for me to shake. 

"Hi, Alex," I introduced myself, shaking his hand back, "Are you new here?" I asked. 

"Yeah, just got in today actually," he nodded. 

"Job on your first day?" I questioned. 

"Julie is my aunt. I'm staying with her anyway, she just offered me the job. I must say, I'm glad I took it," he said. 

"Why is that?" I asked while he took a seat in front of me. 

"Well, you're lovely. That's why," he shrugged. 

"Thank you," I said awkwardly. I don't know how to take compliments. "So, are you in high school?" I asked. 

"Just graduated actually, I'm taking a gap year," he said while I nodded in response.