19| Gemini

Chapter 19: Gemini (Alex's POV)

We were sitting up in his room in silence. I hesitantly cleared my throat and he snapped out of it as if he were in a trance before turning to me. "Sorry, do you need anything?" he asked while standing up. 

"No, I'm perfectly fine. Are you?" I asked. 

"I'm just confused. It doesn't make sense," he shook his head. 

"Why?" I questioned. 

"My dad is a real estate agent, Clark is a doctor. What business?" he thought out loud. 

"Maybe it's not business. Maybe they're chatting," I shrugged. 

"My dad and Clark don't chat. They hate each other. Something isn't right," he said, running his hand through his hair. 

"It's not a problem, especially yours," I said. 

"Yet," he huffed. 

"Don't say that. I'm sure it's no big deal," I said dismissively. 

He was reluctant but he dropped the subject. "All right. What happened?" he sighed while crossing his legs and turning to face me as we sat on his bed. 

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion while mirroring his position. He raised a speculating eyebrow at me. "I don't know what happened. She was extremely pissed off for something that wasn't even such a big deal. It's not like she never skipped a school day in her life." 

"I think it's more so the fact that you skipped the day with me," he stressed on his words. 

"I can skip it with the librarian if I want. It doesn't make sense to bring you into it. And I wasn't even going to say anything. She's the one who told my dad the second he walked through the door," I said. 

"She must have been worried. She probably didn't want you getting yourself in trouble," he shrugged.

"There are nicer ways of putting that message across," I mumbled while fidgeting with the corners of his pillowcase. 

"She wasn't wrong in her place though, Alex," he said while snatching the pillow from me. 

"I know but-" I tried taking it back but he wouldn't budge. "I know," I nodded, sitting back, "But she was being rude. What does she mean I can't see you? I'm not ten-years-old, she doesn't choose my friends," I pouted. 

"She can't choose them, but she can give her opinion on them. Why are you taking it personally when I'm not and she said it about me?" he chuckled, scooting forward.

"Because it's rude. I wouldn't want my friend's parents thinking that of me. She's never given her 'opinion,'" I put air quotes, "On anyone else. So why you?" 

"Cause I'm special," he smirked. 

I rolled my eyes and fell back, lying down. "It's not fair to me, but especially to you. I don't know how you're not offended," I said. 

"I'm not offended because I know your mom only wants the right thing for you. And she may not know it," he sighed while lying down beside me, "But it is definitely me." 

I chuckled and shook my head before placing my phone on the nightstand. "Do you think I could get to the guest room? I'm sleepy." I was craving a comfy bed and lots of sleep. 

"I don't know, I think everyone is still down there. You can just sleep here, I'll go to the guest room once they leave," he smiled. 

"Are you sure? This is your room," I stated.