7| Rules

Chapter 7: Rules (Alex's POV)

I stepped out of the shower and heard my phone ringing. I walked over to it and glanced at the caller ID. 

Why is Carter calling me? 

"Hello?" I asked as I answered the call. 

"I need to talk to you," he said while I heard shuffling in the background. 

"What? I already said yes to your favor as long as you do mine," I said while opening my closet and looking for my favorite pajama shorts and shirt. 

"Yeah, it's about that anyway," he said while I heard a clash. 

"What are you doing?" I asked. 

"Trying to cook dinner. My dad isn't home," he huffed. 

"Do you know how to cook?" I inquired. 

"Nope," he replied. 

I didn't expect that, I thought he would know. Someone should teach him. 

"What do you normally do?" I questioned. 

"Order in, or the housemaid leaves something for dinner," he answered. 

"So, why don't you just order in?" I chuckled. 

"Because I don't have anything better to do. Might as well learn to cook," he said, "Anyway, about the date," he huffed. 

"The dinner," I corrected. 

"Yeah, yeah, same difference. There are some rules, I assume there are rules for your little bowling thing as well?" he asked. 

"Yeah, I guess," I said unsurely. 

"Tomorrow morning at the cafe, we'll go over them. Is that fine?" 

"Yeah, that's fine," I responded. 

"Okay, I'll- good God!" he groaned as I heard more clattering. 

I bit back a laugh while he probably collected whatever he dropped. "Carter?" I asked when the line went silent. 

"Yes, Alexandria?" he asked through gritted teeth. 

"You can't even handle kitchen supplies, let alone cook. Do you maybe want to come over for some dinner? It'll be less work for you," I offered. I'm sure dad wouldn't mind and honestly, I feel bad for him. He'll end up breaking something anyway. 

"Are you inviting me over to dinner?" he asked. I could hear the amusement in his tone. 

"Never mind. You can learn to cook for yourself, bye," I said. 

"Wait, wait, wait!" he rushed, "I'll be there in five," he said before hanging up. 

I laughed while shaking my head before getting dressed and then going downstairs to my dad's study. "Dad," I cleared my throat. He looked up from his work and gave me a small smile. "I invited Carter over for dinner. His dad isn't home and he can't cook, is that okay?" I asked. 

"Fine by me, but if your mother comes out during that dinner, Alex..." he trailed off. 

Right, forgot about that. 

"She just comes and takes her food and then she's back into her shell again. It can't go that wrong, right?" I asked hesitantly. I should have thought about that. 

"I hope. The last thing I'd want is for her to cause a scene, are you cooking?" he asked. 

"Yeah, I made pasta and some garlic bread earlier," I said before going to the kitchen to set up dinner.