6| Stalker

Chapter 6: Stalker (Alex's POV)

I was walking home. From that party at, God knows what hour, it was definitely past midnight, I was walking home. This is when New York isn't the best, it doesn't feel safe at all times, rich neighborhood or not. But the only reason I was walking home was because I knew Carter's car was driving right behind me. 

He offered me a ride home but of course, the stubborn person I am, I said no and started walking. Moments later, his car pulled up beside me and he tried asking me for a while but then gave up and just continued driving silently. 

"I said I'm sorry," he whined, rolling his window down. 

I stopped at a bench and sat down for a minute. This wasn't a good idea, especially since I'm wearing heels. I knocked them off and sat there for a moment. He watched from the window of his car before stepping out and sitting beside me. 

"You know I can walk home by myself. Right?" I asked, without turning to face him. 

"You know this is New York, right? It's not all that safe," he replied, "And your feet probably hurt by now. Just let me drive you. That doesn't mean my apology has been accepted. You'll be tired by the time you get home," he said. 

I thought about it before sighing in defeat and standing up, taking my heels in my hand. He held the door open for me while I got in before getting in the driver's seat and taking me home. It was a very awkward silence and that's exactly what I was expecting. 

I was in a car with a guy I barely know who took part in my humiliation tonight. It just doesn't get better. 

"You can dance like that?" he asked again, laughing lightly. 

I shook my head, biting back a laugh. "What is with you and dancing? Is it like a fetish?" I scoffed. 

"Jesus, relax. Just a question because last I checked," he cleared his throat, "'I don't know how to dance,'" he said, raising his voice to a higher pitch mockingly. 

I rolled my eyes, hoping my house would come sooner. "And last I checked, you weren't such a dick," I retorted. 

He sighed while entering our neighborhood. "I'm not a dick," he said. 

"You weren't last night but you were tonight. That only leaves me confused," I said while he slowed down as my house came into view. 

"Well, I'm sorry if what I said hurt your feelings. Or anything that the others said did too. I didn't mean what I said. But to be fair, a stranger's opinion shouldn't matter. Either way, I'm sorry," he said while stopping in front of my house. 

I sighed while grabbing my phone and heels in one hand before opening the door and stepping out. I leaned forward, still holding the door open. "Goodnight and goodbye," I huffed before closing his door with a little more force than necessary and heading inside. 

I changed into my pajamas, took my makeup off, let my hair down before crawling into bed and falling asleep right away. 

◆:*:◇:*:◆:*:◇:*:◆

I woke up the next morning before my dad because he normally sleeps in on his day off. I was in the living room trying to find something to watch when he came out. "Morning honey," he smiled. 

"Morning," I replied. 

"What are you up to?" he asked while sitting beside me. 

"Nothing, I'm just bored," I answered. 

"Let's go biking later. We haven't been in a while," he suggested. 

"Sure," I agreed. 

"All right, have you eaten?"