47| Next level

Chapter 47: Next level (Alex's POV)

Everyone stared while Hudson walked into the cafeteria, where for some reason, we decided to sit today. He glared at Carter on his way to his usual table while Carter sent him a cheeky grin with a wave. I pulled his hand down and locked it with mine. 

"You're no fun," he pouted. 

"Neither is a fight. You just like playing with fire too much," I whispered. 

He set his water bottle down and turned to me. "I need to talk to you," he cleared his throat. 

"Oh no. What?" I asked. 

"Nothing bad," he chuckled, "You know how the fall break is in like a month?" I nodded in response. "Well, I'm going back home with my dad to visit my grandparents." 

No seeing him? 

"Oh," I said. 

"You wanna come with me?" 

"Oh. Wait, what?" I asked, wide-eyed. 

He laughed, "Do you want to come with me?" 

I hesitated, "Do you want me to come with you?" 

"If I didn't, I wouldn't be asking," he said, giving me a pointed look, "Of course, I want you to come." 

"Carter, meeting your family is huge," I said, my thumbs twiddling around each other. 

He noticed and grabbed my hands in his. "I know. But I want to take the next step with you. I want you to meet my family. Even my mom," he said. My eyes snapped up to his in extreme shock. "Tomorrow is her death anniversary," he cleared his throat, "Will you come with me?" 

I nodded, "Of course, I'll come with you. I'll come with you tomorrow, I'll come with you over the fall break too. If you want me there, I'll be there," I squeezed his hands. 

"I love you," he whispered. 

"I love you too." 

"You guys make me sick," Zach rolled his eyes. 

"Just because Abby isn't here today, doesn't mean you have to be all grumpy," Hannah said to him. 

"This has nothing to do with Abby not being here," he scoffed. We all looked at him, none of us believing his lies. "Jesus, I don't know how to ask her," he sighed in defeat. 

"You might wanna figure it out. Shoot your shot, loverboy," I said while noticing Abby walking over. 

She had to meet up with her partner for a biology project earlier in lunch. "Hey," she sighed while pulling her chair. 

"Abby, can I talk to you for a second?" he asked, standing up quickly. 

"Yeah, sure," she smiled. I watched him mumble a prayer before pulling her aside. We all watched anxiously while he talked and she nodded with a wide grin. He grinned right back at her and even blushed. They came back and sat down. 

"You guys make me sick," I said mockingly.

"Shut up," he chuckled. I rolled my eyes while smiling. 

I rested my chin on his shoulder while he gave me a piggyback ride to god knows where after we left school. "Where are we going?" I asked for the third time. 

"To the movies," he sang. 

"What are we watching? Why didn't we bring snacks?" I pouted. He set me down in front of the theatre and dangled his school bag in my face. I smiled while he led us inside and into the theatre.