4| Money

Chapter 4: Money (Leo's POV)

I woke up the next morning and got dressed. Her dad owes me a little explanation and so does mine. Because we're not even actually getting paid. 

Just holding her like we work for the fucking Witness Protection Programme. And she's not even a witness. It's not like she gambles, why would they come after her? Then again, I don't know who her dad messed with. 

I got in my car and drove off, locking the front door that opened with a digit code behind me. I drove straight to her house, where kidnapping her, or well, taking her, would have been much easier. 

She would have cooperated more because her environment would be more familiar. At least compared to the school we graduated from. 

I walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. A housemaid let me in and pointed me to his office. I walked in, opening the door without bothering to knock. "There's my delinquent," my dad mumbled. 

"We can't keep her," I said bluntly. 

"Leo, please," her dad requested. "

She is a pain in the ass. She does not listen to one thing we say to her. She's gonna get herself killed, Jack. I can't help you," I spoke directly to her father. 

"I'll offer you money," he said. 

"We don't need your money," I replied, "I want her out of my house." 

Yeah, that house is mine. Now it is. 

It used to be my grandparents', they passed it onto me. 

"That isn't going to happen," my dad said. 

"Nathan," her dad scolded mine. 

"I gave Mr. Brookes my word, Leo." 

"Then you keep her," I argued. 

"You're her age. She'll listen to you, eventually. She'll feel more comfortable and that's what we need. For her to be comfortable." 

"Why?" I rolled my eyes. I have other ways of making her listen. 

"Because she'll cooperate where she's comfortable," her dad said, "It's the way she is." 

"Well then someone make her comfortable because I certainly can't do it." 

"That's what Flynn's for, he's a little more... welcoming," my dad replied. 

"She can cooperate out of fear. I can do that just fine," I replied. 

"We need her to feel safe with you. Not fear you." I rolled my eyes at my dad's words. 

"Why am I doing this?" I groaned. 

"Because nobody will do anything against you," her dad said, "We all know it's true." I looked between the two of them, noticing the desperation on her dad's face. "Just take care of her for me," he mumbled. 

"No promises," I said before turning around to leave. 

"He'll do it," I heard my dad say before the door closed behind me. 

I looked at the front door and I looked at the stairs. I'm not gonna get any money. May as well mess around here. I went up the stairs and looked left then right. I opened a few doors until I found hers. 

Pictures stuck to one wall, height marking on the corner of the other, random things lying around, books everywhere. 

She's one of those. 

I walked to her desk and opened a few drawers, coming across a picture of her with Theo Quinn. Piece of shit that guy is. There hasn't been one day in my high school life where he hasn't tried fucking with me. I always made him regret it.