12| Psychic

Chapter 12: Psychic (Leo's POV)

I know what he said to her, I'm not stupid. And no, that's not true. He's definitely seen me smile, it hasn't been years... has it? Maybe one or two. It's been a really long time since I laughed or smiled or did anything. I haven't had a reason to. 

Yeah, sometimes I would let out a chuckle talking to Flynn, but never wholeheartedly, hysterically laughed in the last two years. It just died down. 

After one year without my mom, everything just became pointless. 

And I knew I just laughed. I smiled, I laughed, wholeheartedly. But I wasn't supposed to. And if I acted like I didn't, maybe she will too. And she did. Thank god. I don't need to be psychic to know what would happen if she did point it out, she knows it too. Everything would have gone back to the way it was when we brought her here. 

She came closer before going behind me. "Can I get a piggyback?" she asked, her arms around my neck and her legs around my torso, her chin resting on my shoulder. 

"No." I unlocked her legs but she locked them back up. 

"Please?" she whispered. 

"Claire," I said sternly. 

Please get off, Claire. 

"No," she pouted, tightening her hold on me. 

"Claire, get off." 

"Pretty please?" she whispered, her cheek on my shoulder while she looked up at me. I couldn't even risk looking at her. She poked my cheek and I clicked my tongue in frustration, shoving her finger away. I turned to her and my eyes locked with hers. 

This is what happens when I'm alone with her like this. It's like a pull. And if she pulls me in, I'll lose focus on my job here, which is only to keep her safe. 

"Don't do that stupid puppy-doe eyed thing," I rolled my eyes. I looked back at her and she was still doing it. She pouted sadly before pulling her arms down. 

Fucking hell. 

I grabbed her legs that were still around me before she pulled away completely. She squealed in excitement before wrapping her arms around my neck. I scoffed before shaking my head and straightening her legs out. I swam around for a while with her on my back in silence. 

"Is that a scar?" She traced a spot on my upper arm. 

"Yeah, I got cut." 

"With a knife?" she gasped. 

"No, a sword," I said sarcastically, "It was a fight with some people a long time ago," I mumbled. 

"Must have hurt," she said. 

"Yeah, a little bit," I lied. 

She laughed, "You can't even admit it hurt." 

I never admit when I'm in pain.

I rolled my eyes and continued swimming in circles, tracing the perimeter of the pool until the backyard door opened and she let go. My hands were itching to pull her back on but I didn't act on it. 

Flynn walked out, dressed to go somewhere. "I'm going out, I'll be back late," he said. 

"Where?" My eyebrows furrowed while I squinted under the sun. 

"He has a date," she teased while climbing back on. 

"This looks like a date to me," he smirked at me. 

"Shut up, Flynn," we said in sync. 

"She's right. I have a date." 

I looked at her. "With Aesha," she smiled, "Have fun," she looked up at him, also squinting at the sun.