10| Responsibility

Chapter 10: Responsibility (Claire's POV)

The calmness and casualty in his voice when he said that gave me goosebumps everywhere. I stared at him, my mouth agape. "Have you killed someone before?" I asked. 

"Kind of," he nodded. 

"Kind of?!" I yelled. 

"Shh!" He clamped his hand over my mouth, "You yell so much," he hissed. 

I threw his hand off, "You've killed someone?" I whispered. 

"No, not directly. But I've caused injuries that went on to kill someone," he admitted. 

I stared at him. "Have you shot someone?" 

"Yes." 

"In the head?" 

"No." 

"In the leg?" 

"Yes." 

"Arm?" 

"Probably." 

"You've shot someone dead?" 

"Once." 

"How many people have you killed?" 

Silence. 

I glared at him and he sighed in defeat, running his hand through his, pushing it back. "A few." 

"More than ten?" 

"No."

"More than three?" 

"Yes." 

I gasped. "More than five?" 

He nodded. 

"Oh, my God." I put my head against the wall. It literally felt like the air was knocked out of my lungs. 

"Breathe." 

"Oh, really? That's what I have to do?" I asked sarcastically. I took a few deep breaths before finally looking at him. "I'm assuming the people you've killed were all bad guys." 

"Mm, give or take," he nodded. 

"Give or- Give or take?!" I whisper-yelled. 

"I'm kidding. Yeah, they were bad guys. In my opinion." 

He's kidding? We're talking about people's lives and he's kidding? 

"Leo," I said. He looked at me, a zap of something different in his eyes when I said his name but it was gone as soon as it came. "You've actually killed someone?" 

He nodded, "When I had to." 

"What qualifies as the need to kill someone?" I scoffed. 

"When they're trying to kill me." 

"I thought nobody messes with you," I sighed. 

"They don't. But when they do, they die. That's why nobody messes with me. You should know this," he said casually. 

"My dad didn't exactly give me a biography on you, sorry," I said sarcastically. "Oh, my god, you've killed someone. You've actually killed someone. You seriously-" I stopped rambling when he took another step closer, his body almost pressed against mine, his arms on either side of me, his face inches from mine. 

"Claire, you're my responsibility. I might have to kill for it," he said, his voice low. 

"Would you?" I asked hesitantly, forcing my eyes to stay with his rather than drift down to his lips.