Falling like a leaf

Trigger warning: mention of self harm, depression and thoughts of suicide. Please don't read if this makes you unconformable.

It was autumn. Again. Great. Peter wasn't great at handling the fall. It got darker, it was beginning to get colder and school had started about a month ago. For some reason peter was always filled with hope and expectations about the new school year but every year he was disappointed. He still only had two friends. He was still trying his best juggling school, friends, homework and Spiderman. He was still bullied, and he was still hoping it would change. It never did.

"Pete, you need to get up! school starts in 30 minutes!" peter woke up slowly to the yelling. He knew he was going to be late. He knew that he was going to get tired. And he knew that tony wouldn't let him stay home. But his bed was sooo comfy! And his eyes just kept dropping. He couldn't help it but slowly. Very slowly he fell asleep again.

10 minutes later he vaguely registered that the door to his room opened. He could feel his dad's presence, but peter was too damn tried to acknowledge it. So, he just continued to sleep.

"ok Pete, I know that you are 16 and you stay up all night and sleep all day but if you don't get up now you are going to be late" he heard tony say.

"norgh" peter grunted and turned around facing the wall.

"you have to, I'm sorry" tony said. Peters heart sank. Well it didn't sink it was more like a constant pressure inside him. The pressure making it hard to breath, talk and think straight. He felt like he was underwater. Or more like how he felt like after a full night of patrolling. Although he hadn't been on patrol for a while now since all he wanted to do was to jump off a building and not catch himself. So, he simply avoided going on patrols right now. 'as if t will make a difference, peter you know that you are no asset anyway' he thought. But he had to get up and he knew it, so he got up and got dressed. Although he knew that he would have a shit day.

The same morning routine continued the next few weeks. It was the end of November and peter started to feel even worse. Now his back and muscles and back had started acing and his mood had gotten even worse. All he wanted to do was to die! He felt like he couldn't take it anymore. Some days was better though, and he wasn't all that useless. Most days was quite nice until noon when his caffeine high dropped, and he was at the bottom again. 

Two cups of coffee in the morning (something that confused tony greatly). Then for lunch he had something either super sugary or something with lots of fats and calories. Fats carbs= fast energy. That was the stuff that got him through the day. Then when he came home, he crashed on the sofa. Shivering and half-conscious he would lie until he got up and guess what. Yes, he drank even more coffee. Patrol was at this point nonexistent though he would go out when tony would come. When he looked at his dad, he mentally begged him to sense his intense longing for a tight hug. Instead peter had started thinking about starting cutting again.

Peter didn't understand the new way he was living his life. He didn't understand the fatigue, the pain and how he wanted to cry, run, and scream all at once. He wanted to punch someone in the face with the force of a million worlds. Anger and sadness mixed into one terrible soup. It almost tasted like Tony's cooking. So bad was it. He didn't smile, didn't laugh he didn't even joke much anymore. He thought it would be over as soon he got a break from school but fall brake came and went and he was as tired when It ended as when it started.

One morning at the very end of November tony had gotten enough. Enough of watching his son suffer. Tony didn't really know what his son was suffering of, but he knew that he had to put an end to it. so that morning he conferred with Bruce. Bruce had several theories about what was going on with the teen, but he needed to talk to him first.

There was a knock on the door. Peter just turned in bed. Another day another nightmare. he heard the soft humming of the arc reactor, and he knew that his dad was sitting at the feet of his bed. That didn't surprise him. What surprised him was the second pair of feet he heard shuffling on his carpet.

"Pete, wake up." his father whispered. Peter opened his eyes and stared at his dad and Bruce. well this is going to be interesting. Bruce sat down beside him and looked into the teen's eyes. So tired and so full of sadness.

"ok peter, we are going down to the med bay and we'll take a blood test" he calmly said

"why?" peter asked

"well, I need to know a couple of things so we can find out what's up with you"

"nothings wrong with me?" peter said but it almost sounded like a question

"ok then I am George Washingmachine!" tony exclaimed.

"ok tones, enough jokes and let get this young gentleman down to the med bay" Bruce said and helped peter up.

Several needles, test, and hours of waiting later peter sat on a chair in the med bay. Beside him sat his guardian who was holding his hand tightly. A few minutes went by but then Bruce came through the double doors. tony couldn't help it but think the worst when he saw the scientist. So, Tony tried to read his expression expecting to find a concerned or scared Bruce but with mild surprise he found a relived Bruce.

"it looks like I was right" the scientist said

"what's up then?" tony asked half expecting to hear some autopsy report

"d vitamin lacks" Bruce said

"what?" tony and peter looked up at the man

"yes. You see, since peter is basically half spider, he is much more exposed to d vitamin loss than other humans. The spider part is taking all of it and peters human part gets almost nothing. Now as the sun is farther away it can't give us as much d vitamin as it should, and I know several normal humans struggles who d vitamin lack" Bruce explained with the least complicated language he could produce. Although he forgetting he is talking to peter and tony.

"how are d vitamin lack making him" tony stopped for a moment "making him like this" he pointed at the teen who was slumped in the chair.

"well, d vitamin lack is almost like blood loss. And from what I can see he is suffering from muscle and joint pain, back pain, and fatigue. Common symptoms of d vitamin lack." Bruce said

"but what about the depression?" tony asked

"well, it can be a mixture of things. I suppose it comes from the d vitamin lack as well, but it can also be about a lot of things. I remember myself that fall was the harder month as we started school again. That meant back to bullies and the long days. I can imagen that peter looks at the fall and expects it be better but gets disappointed again and again" Bruce said in a mumbling tone as if he was looking back in time.

"what can we do about it then? It must be something we can do?" tony said in a pleading tone.

"for the d vitamin lack. Supplements. That should make his mood go up some. For the fall depression? Well, after the supplements I think it would be best to see what happens, if it doesn't go away, we'll have a talk about antidepressants, but I don't think that they'll do any good" Bruce said

"isn't it something that will make things better now?" tony said

"well the d vitamin supplement will make a lot of things easier" Bruce said

"we'll try that then. You hear that Pete? Things are going to get better again" peter heard all of it. he thought it made sense and all he wanted now was to stop falling. Stop falling like a leaf the wrath of a fall-storm