Chapter Ten

January 18th

It takes four hours for him to get ready. He'd spent an hour early that morning at the venue in his sweats, Ny and Charlotte with him as he'd gone over the song three times. Minor adjustments to the sound systems made each times before he'd finally been able to leave.

He'd showered, then had a professional hair and make-up crew rewash his hair, style it and brush his face till it appeared almost perfect. Even after all these years he wasn't used to the way the brushes swept over his skin and even the slight tiredness evident in the bags under his eyes could be wiped away from a few strokes of a skilled hand and brush.

He had two outfits for tonight, one for the red carpet and actual awards and the second for his performance. He knew the two Gucci fits had been commissioned for him months ago, undoubtedly hand made to fit his exact measurements.

By the time he was finally ready and the dozen people who filtered in and out of the room constantly, including Jeff, all seemed satisfied with his appearance he was being ushered towards the door. Jeff had insisted he get ready in a private hotel suite in mid London rather than his own home and he had readily agreed. Despite the fact he liked everyone on his hair and make-up team he didn't want a how bunch of people crowded in his personal space.

Louis would be joining him there, having got ready in a hotel not far from where Harry had been. Jeff and Rania had been sending the two of them email after email detailing every aspect of how the night could go.

After receiving the first one Harry had panicked, thinking too much of how Modest! Had once forced Louis and him apart, not even enabling them to look at one another, let alone acknowledge, however the instructions which had come through had been simple enough. Do not give away the tour announcement or reunion. And not much else which he had to be concerned about. He was so versed in how to act in important social environments that he was almost immune to the stares, whispers and shouts that would no doubt trail them from the press all night. But he was determined not to let that ruin his night. Finally, after years and years of waiting, he was actually going to be able to attend an event with Louis and not have to act as if he disliked the man.

It was four years and a whole lot of heartache too late, but it was better than nothing.

The line of fans, all armed with either cell phones or signs greeted him out the cars tinted window long before the stream of media personal. The screams were as loud as ever as the car eventually came to a halt, a dozen security between where he would step out too and the fans eagerly awaiting the next celebrities arrival.

He'd be arriving ahead of Louis, who would join him half way down the red carpet, right in the thick of the media. This was thankfully the only part of the night which would be staged between them.

Stepping out into the blinding camera flashes, he heard the rising level of screams before his eyes could fully adjust to the flashes from various cameras. This would be the first public appearance between any of the five of them in months, and certainly the first after the recent social media frenzy.

He smiled at the gathered crowd before him, waving to a number of people who shouted his name and offered a peace sign to a dozen or more fans as he made his way towards the entrance of the building. Closer and closer to the photo wall, primed with dozens of photographers and interviewers waiting baited just on the other side.

He'd just about reached the photo wall, having stopped to sign a few of the posters and cards some of the fans had thrust towards him, offering each of them a wide smile when the screams around him went almost deafening.

"Louis!" "Louis over here!" "Oh my gosh its Louis!"

He held back the smile that threatened to show as he turned, making a show of acting surprised as he caught sight of his bandmate casually walking towards him. He was wearing a deep blue suit that was left unbuttoned, a crisp white shirt underneath that also had its top buttons undone, revealing a large section of the It Is What It Is tattoo plastered across his chest.