CHAPTER 9 ✨

My heart felt like it had shattered into countless pieces, more numerous than the stars above. As my tears threatened to flow, a gentle rumble filled the air, and the sky opened up, releasing a cascade of rain. I longed to escape to a secluded sanctuary, hidden from prying eyes and ears. The icy touch of the raindrops on my skin clashed with the fiery turmoil burning inside of me.

"Do you want to catch a cold, Jai?" She giggled, fluttering her eyelashes. "That might ruin your movie plans with me."

"I'm actually surprised that you still want to go to a movie with me." I crossed my arms. "Plotting for a kickboxing match between me and your boyfriend?"

"Oh, challenge accepted!" she quipped, a mischievous glint in her dove eyes.

"First, let's find some shelter!" I flicked my wrist happily, and the air shimmered.

The path we had chosen was a stretch of muddy water, swirling and shifting with the unseen currents beneath. Deep puddles scattered like traps, their murky depths cunningly concealing the hidden ruts. Every step forward felt like wading through uncertainty, a test to our resolve.

The sky above grew darker, and the sound of thunder rumbled in a distance. Determined to find shelter before the storm hit, we quickened our pace, scanning the surroundings for any sign of refuge. Suddenly, a flash of lightning illuminated a small car shed. We hurried towards it, seeking safety from the looming tempest.

As we reached the car shed, the wind picked up, whipping rain into a frenzy. Inside, the darkness enveloped us, with only faint glimmers of light seeping in through the cracks. The sound of rain intensified, a constant pounding against the metal roof. The shed was cramped, offering little space for us to move around. Water trickled down the walls, creating a damp, musty smell that permeated the air.

Blurry-eyed, a surge of pain gripped my abdomen as the rain defied Divya's warning, seeping through antiseptic defenses and tormenting my stitches. Shivers raced down my spine, and I succumbed to the agony, fainting instantly. When consciousness reluctantly returned, I discovered myself nestled in her lap.

Her touch felt like a revitalizing tonic, tempting me to pretend I was still unconscious, just to bask a little longer in the comforting warmth of her lap. The world beyond our shelter faded into a distant murmur, the only reality being her soft touch against my skin. The rain continued its downpour, its rhythmic patter serving as a soothing lullaby.

"Hey Jaiku, wake up," she whispered gently, giving me a light shake.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, blinking against the dim light. "How did I get here?"

"You fainted! I was worried, but you seemed to be breathing okay." She gently rested her hand on my shoulder.

"Oh, I must have been more tired than I thought." I sat up slowly, rubbing my eyes. "Thanks for letting me rest, Ritu."

"No problem. You looked so peaceful, I didn't want to disturb you." Her eyes sparkled like stones polished by the sea.

"I appreciate it! How long was I out?"

"Not too long, just enough for the worst of the rain to pass." She shifted slightly, making room for me to sit up fully.

"Good timing!" I stretched my arms and legs, preparing to get up. "I don't think I can walk, my stomach feels like it's on fire."

"Let me see. I'm a medical student."

She's a medical student? She's going to see my stitches now! I have to escape from here!

"Um, are you sure? I mean, I don't want to trouble you anymore, Ritu."

Her eyes met mine as she smiled gently. "No trouble at all. I want to help if I can."