ᴄʜᴀᴩᴛᴇʀ 12_ʟᴏɴɢɪɴɢ

🦋

It was especially gloomy today. For what reason? He didn't know.

It had been a week since he hadn't been in Taehyung's contact and surprisingly enough, things on his own end weren't positive either. His department was overworking him for the past few days since some of the employees were on a yearly vacation. Also because he had been back after his Busan expedition, the workload was quite a lot.

Even when his feet dragged him towards his home, he couldn't sense the homely feeling. He hadn't been feeling himself for a while but this night was a bit too harsh on him.

Somehow he managed to make it to his place and locked himself up after the long day of work. He was so late that he had no time or energy to eat. Taking off his office attire, he changed into his warm sweatshirt considering the cold air outside.

Just going through his normal schedule was feeling out of place. He sat down on the couch and stared at nothing in particular for a minute. He had this sense of emptiness ever since the events of that day had unfolded.

It only led him to think that something was not right. He quickly shook his head to shrug away the paranoid thoughts and then reached out for his phone. It was dead since evening and he had no time to charge it.

The moment he plugged in and opened the phone to check the screen back to function, all he could see was notifications. 12 missed calls from his dad.

He sighed.

Taehyung had been on the news a lot lately and his dad obviously recognised him from the other day when he met him as his 'boyfriend'.

He had been bombarding the younger with multiple questions since that very day to get an array of hints in Jungkook's voice but he always came up with excuses.

'It wasn't him.'
'He looks different. Your eyes betrayed you.'
However, he is well aware that his dad won't believe any of it so easily. Assuming that the calls were for that reason, he was about to put the phone away but quickly halted when he found Yoongi's name written right below.

Scrolling a little, he found a number of missed calls from him as well. Was everything alright? What happened to everyone?

He knew by now that it was something rather serious and important and quickly checked his messages to see if any of them left a message.

"Watch the news." Yoongi hyung's text said.

Anxiety bubbling up in his chest, his fumbling hands hastily grabbed the TV remote and switched on the television with an anticipated yet scared look, only to find the news anchor say,

"Kim Taehyung has reportedly died after an encounter with the special police force. The Blue Jays have been secured..."

Jungkook's legs trembled, as if provoked by a sudden gush of wind in the cold winter when he found his knees falling helplessly on the ground. He was speechless. Breathless even. It was almost as if he couldn't hear his heartbeat anymore. The more he tried, the harder he failed.

It just didn't make sense to him. It wasn't possible. Kim Taehyung couldn't just die like that. The ambitious guy who was afraid of no one and claimed to have with him a tonne of confidence couldn't just go without a notice.