Chapter 24 - The vow

Hi, my dears! Hope you are well and safe.

I'm very happy to present to you... (drum roll) Chapter 21!

First, I want to thank you all for your support! It really meant a lot and I wouldn't have made it this far without you guys. I can't thank you enough for everything!

I really hope you'll enjoy this chapter, it has been kinda ready for some time but I took quite some time editing.

Anyways, I'm anxious to hear what you think about it, I did put a lot of work into it and I really hope it came out well.

Ok, hope you enjoy reading this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the next morning, Thalya woke up early, eager to welcome Saoirse back to the palace, once the latter was released from the elven infirmary.

As the young woman sat up, a sharp pain pierced her pelvis and the pungent smell of blood invaded her senses, bringing the unpleasant feeling of nausea.

Panic shot through Thalya as she was seized by another spasm. Her hand shot under the soft cotton cover and to her surprise, she felt strange wetness on her nightgown. She quickly retreated the hand and the sight of the scarlet red blood made her clutch the sheet.

In the next moment, the door of her room flew open, and a very distressed Ayden barged in uninvited.

"Thalya," he was out of breath, his shirt still unbuttoned revealing his defined chest. "Are you alright..." seeing her bloodied hand he trailed off and knelt beside her bed. "What happened? Are you hurt?" there was urgency in his emerald eyes.

Thalya was about to respond when another fierce outburst of pain seized her, and she clung to her lower abdomen.

Ayden pulled away the covers, revealing her soaked nightdress. At the sight of the bright red liquid, the young woman felt lightheaded.

"I'll take you to the Envinyanta at once, the healers there will know what to do," Ayden leant toward her, carefully preparing to lift her.

"Ayden," they heard a familiar voice for the corridor.

Thalya cursed in her mind and reached for the sheet in a vain attempt to cover herself.

As the young woman feared, Anaya quickly made her way through the door.

"Is everything alright, you were not in your room and..." she caught herself as she laid eyes on Thalya, "Oh, Baratári, my apologies," the tall elf looked down, "I did not mean to intrude".

'Then go away,' Thalya thought but kept silent as violent pain shot through her again, leaving her out of breath. Anaya had left the elven capital almost a month ago, right after their arrival in order to attend to some personal business. Thalya didn't mind her absence, because she didn't have to constantly worry that the elf was better than her in every possible way.

"Actually," Ayden spoke quickly, "We could use your help," he paused searching for the right words, "Thalya seems to be in a great pain".

"May I," Anaya gestured for him to move away.

Thalya reluctantly allowed Anaya to remove the covers once more. While the elf observed the stains of blood, she carefully put her hand on Thalya's lower abdomen and closed her eyes.