Chapter 5 - The Inn

Once the two reached the second floor and were away from the owner's curious eyes, Thalya hurriedly pulled herself away from Ayden.

The young man seemed relaxed for the first time since they had started their journey.

Despite being wet to the bones and freezing, Thalya could feel her cheeks were still flushed and warm after Ayden's comment so she kept the hood over her head until they were in the room.

Once the door was closed behind them, Ayden locked it and moved a dower-chest in front of the door. He quickly went to the windows, unlocked them, and opened the middle one. He stuck his head out and observed the surroundings.

Thalya saw that the windows were on the rear side of the building and the sight of a green forest unveiled itself before her eyes.

Ayden turned and as his shoulder grazed her, Thalya bit her lower lip. She still felt embarrassed because of Ayden's insinuation about their intentions while they stayed at the inn.

Thalya turned away from the window; she really wanted to tell Ayden that he had overdone things with his improper comments. She opened her mouth but reconsidered, she didn't know how to word her feelings. All this had made her feel awkward. She sighed through her nose and looked at her environs.

The room wasn't spacious but it looked comfortable, there was a large double bed against the wall opposite the door.

On the right side of the bed, Thalya spotted a small fireplace with a few splinters of wood placed inside waiting for someone to light them.

She hurriedly stood in front of it and with shaking hands, tried to light a match but broke it instead. After the third unsuccessful try, two warm hands caught hers and she lifted her gaze.

Ayden stood before her with a concerned look, his green eyes vivid. He took the matches and lit one throwing it at the dried wood.

"Take off the wet clothes while I heat the water," he said, causing Thalya to look away.

The blush returned to her cheeks, this time her heart throbbed as well.

"You don't expect me to undress in front of you, do you?" she scoffed.

Ayden rolled his eyes and the irritation returned to his voice.

"It's not like I haven't seen a nude woman."

The comment caused Thalya's jaw to drop. She was taken aback by the overshared information.

"Hurry up, you'll get sick." He prompted her. "Don't make me come and undress you."

Thalya pursed her lips and circled him her shoulder lightly grazing his. She went to stand behind him and happily noticed that in the opposite corner of the room there was a curtain, giving whoever needed to refresh themselves some privacy.

Thalya took off the cape and noticed that in spite of the heavy rain, the garment was completely dry. She put it on one of the chairs and looked down at her own outfit, which had already contributed to the formation of a small pool of muddy water on the floor.

Thalya lifted her arms in an attempt to undo the knot that closed the back of her dress but hissed and caught her left shoulder. Reluctantly, she turned and saw Ayden staring at the small fire, rubbing his left collarbone.

"Ayden," she said his name hesitantly, but he did not respond lost in thought.

"Ayden." She raised her voice slightly and this time he turned his head to look at her.

"Could you please help me?" She paused uncertainly. Everything he had said thus far made her feel really embarrassed and uncomfortable. "I must have hurt my shoulder when I fell by the river."