Prologue

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read my story!

Please, don't forget to vote and comment if you like the story!

P.S. This chapter is unedited, so please excuse any monstrosities you might come across.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The campfire was crackling invitingly.

With a heavy sigh, the knight sat closer to the flames attempting to keep warm in the cool autumn air.

He glanced at the boy sitting across from him.

The orphan's gaze seemed lost in the blazing fire.

The knight took the opportunity to scrutinize him.

The child's expression was sad and though he was barely five years old, his vivid green eyes betrayed how much he had gone through already.

The boy's sunken cheeks hadn't beamed with a smile ever since he lost his mother three months ago. Though there was enough food, the child barely ate enough to survive.

"What story would you like to hear tonight, my boy?" the knight said cheerfully.

The orphan glanced at him indifferently, keeping silent for a moment.

"I don't know," he paused, "One of knights and kings... and dragons." His eyes lit a tiny bit.

The knight rubbed his chin.

"Alright." He nodded. "I think I have one you may like."

The child straightened, his eyes not leaving his companion.

"Well, let's see," the man spoke, "Once upon a time, lived a Prince, his name was Erling and his parents loved him very much. They were the King and Queen of Sundardesha."

The knight saw a shadow pass through the child's face and was sure the boy was probably on the brink of tears.

"As the King and Queen ruled the land flourished."

"Where is the dragon in that story?" the boy protested trying to hide how upset he actually was at the mention of the parents of the prince.

"I never said there were any dragons." The knight shrugged.

The boy only pouted remaining silent.

"Unfortunately," the man continued, "the Queen fell gravely ill, and soon after, passed away."

"Like my momma?" The child's voice wavered and the pain in his eyes was unmistakable.

"Yes." The knight nodded with a compassionate look. "Both the Prince and the King were devastated. Nevertheless, the young Prince was very brave, just like you and made his best to stay strong for the sake of his mourning father.

"The king's sorrow, however, was so deep that it abutted upon madness. Grief-stricken, he couldn't overcome the death of his beloved."

The boy's expression fell further.

"During the long dark nights, an idea slowly crept into his mind.

"Why live a lonely life until the end of his days if he could find a way to bring his loved one back?" The knight lowered his voice in an attempt to sound mysterious.

"Shortly, the King began searching for a way to bring his wife back. He was desperately throwing all his efforts at finding something or someone that could help him in this quest.

"Lost in his selfish journey, the King forgot he also had a son who counted on him."

"Didn't the Prince want to see his momma too?" the five-year-old questioned with naivety.