Chapter 7 - Dancing with the Devil Himself

Chapter 7: Dancing with the Devil Himself

● Ky ●

Kate.

For some odd reason, I couldn't get her out of my head. She was like that annoying song lyric that got stuck in your brain.

Two times I had run into her at that park. Two times.

I kept wondering who that Jake guy with her was. He seemed nice, but every time that I thought of him I would get an itch. Doing my best to forget them both, I started to get ready. 

Since tonight was the gala held by one of the other owners of the NYR. I pulled on a suit and made my way out the door.

I was too preoccupied to drive myself, so I hailed a cab and had the man drive me to the Park Hyatt tower in the middle of the city.

The city lights were a weird comfort for me, since I had grown up with them my whole life.

Being used to the bustling crowds and loud noise of the cars and cabs honking, I swiftly made my way to the tower lobby entrance.

"Mr. Salazar. It's a pleasure for you to be joining us tonight." A greeter told me and I smiled and nodded.

Riding the elevator up to the top floor, number forty-two, the doors finally slid open and I stepped out into the cozy atmosphere of high class people dining and drinking wine elegantly.

I saw pretty women in dresses and men in nice, pressed suits. Noticing a few womens' heads swivel my way, I smirked. I knew what kind of attention I always got when I went anywhere. I was handsome and definitely knew it. I saw some ladies watch me walk back to the part of the room where the rest of the team awaited, chatting among themselves.

I walked over to the nicely suited teammates and they all welcomed me.

Patting Killian on the back, I grinned. "Some gala." 

He nodded. "Bill sure knows how to host a party."

Agreeing, I looked around the room; trying to find a flash of dark brown hair. She was no where to be found. 

"Hey, Ky," Clint came up beside me and patted my back, "didn't think you would be joining us tonight."

I chuckled. He had a point. I wasn't one to easily be persuaded into coming to these types of things, but since Bill had hosted it, I was more than willing. 

Taking a glass of wine from Clint, I asked him, "Where's Kate?"

I saw his look of confusion as to why I was asking about her, but he then glanced behind me and stared with awe. "Right behind you, bud."

The rest of the team's eyes followed to a sight behind me, and when I turned, I almost dropped my wine glass.

Kate was gracefully walking to us with a smile on her face. A dark royal blue colored dress flowed to her black heels and her hair was straightened straighter than a line.

She looked stunning.

"Hey guys," she said when she approached us. I watched her grin and bite her lip.

Damn if I didn't have the urge to do it for her. 

"Wow," I heard Killian say from behind me and the rest of us agreed.

"You guys like the dress? I don't wear them often, so don't get used to it," she joked.

I heard Luvoski say something and Kate and the others laughed. But I didn't hear it because I was too busy staring at her.