21.

Matheo.

"Gerrit just informed the families of the couple alpha Savage found by the boarder." I couldn't believe it, I really couldn't grasp who would do that to a living person, a wolf should protect and look out for those weak, that's how I grew up, that's what I was taught, how had one alpha who was a rogue on top of that manage to dismantle my belief that every wolf could be saved and could lead a good life.

What happened to the couple was horrible and it broke my heart, no one should ever go through that, at all, I sighed looking onto the busy street, the future was uncertain now, would the people I knew and those I love survive tomorrow, it was always a struggle and it made me wonder how each day I felt blessed despite what could easily happen to me in the blink of an eye, it made me grateful to the goddess, grateful for the family that I had which was always there to protect me, without them I don't know where I'd be.

I nod to Koda, my assigned guard, he was to watch me as per the alpha's orders and I wouldn't dare defy that order, as alpha, Savage had the burden I only hoped I could help him carry, he had a whole pack to take care of and I was his mate, he didn't have to worry about me as well whilst trying to find the murderer rogues roaming in the streets of the small city we lived in, he had to focus and I wasn't going to be a problem by not cooperating with whatever he planned but rather I would help.

"I can't have my mate worry about my whereabouts everytime even if there are pack members with their own shops around this place." I exclaimed leaning onto the table, the cafe part of my shop was about to close as well as the bookshop part, dad had helped me with the extention and remodelling of the place and it came out perfect, one day I would pass it on to my own child who would find the beauty and magic in books. "Youre right." Koda conceded as he finished his cup of ice tea. "Help me pack away everything, there are sheets at the back cardboard we can use them to cover everything, until everything is settled it's best we close shop." I instructed Koda and he immediately got to work.

He was a really nice man, tall like any wolf, beautiful low shaven hair, sunkissed brown skin and sparkling green eyes, bulky body which wasn't surprising. As I got to work the cafe was closed by one of the workers on the afternoon shift who walked up to me with a slightly sullen face. "Luna Matty, I need your help, my family lives near the city but still in pack territory, I'm afraid for their safety, is there anyway we can move back further into pack territory till this whole thing blows over." She mumbled with watery eyes and I immediately hugged her.

I held her in my embrace until she calmed down, and as I looked around all of my cafe workers looked worried, so after the girl I was holding calmed I made my way toward the centre of the shop with her. "I know all of you are worried about your families, your jobs and your overall wellbeing, I understand, I was going to do this announcement tonight with the alpha but I will make it early, all of our surrounding neighbours who are part of the pack, tell them to close up shop, pack enough food for a month or two, board up their homes, either move into the city or further into pack land, we don't know how many these rogues are or what they intend to do, it is best we are cautious, so clean this place up, pack up food and go to your homes and make sure your families are safe." I announced and they all nodded in understanding.

"Thank you Luna." A man called out from the small crowd, half of them stayed to clean and pack whilst others went out to inform everyone who surrounded us about what was to happen. I made my way back to Koda who was about to finish his task and I helped him in locking and covering the shelves, suddenly I couldn't breathe again, my skin crawled and my heart was erratic, I could feel them, I don't know how, I just could. "Rogues." Koda mumbled as he sniffed the air and I nodded, they were so many.

"Warn everyone and tell them to steer clear of dark alleys and to hurry up and get home and do as I've instructed, we need to get to Savage." I asserted next to Koda and immediately his eyes glazed over and I focused on my own mate. "Savage, rogues entered the city, I don't know how many, I've already instructed everyone to go home and get their families to move further into pack territory, can you make sure the warriors help them." I relayed the message through my mind and he immediately responded.

"Hermosa are you safe?" He questioned and I could feel worry seeping in his words. "Yes, I am, we are on our way." I replied just as Koda took my hand. "We need to go." He whispered and I didn't argue, we hurriedly finished up everything, the cafe workers handed out the food to their others and were out by the car park in minutes. Koda locked the whole place and made sure no one could break in, I felt the hairs on my skin rise up, we were being watched so I acted as normal as I could.

"Seventy percent of the pack members who live near the city and pack boarders have been relocated further into the pack, you did well in time Luna." Koda commended and a smile tugged at my lips, we had moved with haste and casualties were evaded. I unlocked the doors to my car, Koda and I got in, just as he buckled in I reversed out of my parking spot and sped toward home, the feeling of being watched hadn't stopped and I definitely knew we were being followed.

"Matty where are you?" Savage's voice filled my head as I stepped on the gas even more. "Just past Hunters Grill." I replied calmly so as to not alarm him since I knew we were being followed. "Matty look out!" Koda yelled as I looked at the road where a car had just swerved and blocked the way, tires screeched in protest because I had my leg pressed on the brakes, it was too late and my car hit the truck head on, that wasn't going to be just a dent.

The air bags saved me from any damage along with the seat belt. "Koda—Koda wake up!" I snapped and he immediately shot up with a growl, his hands partially shifted and tore apart both our seat belts and the air bags, he kicked the door on his side and it broke off creating sound that echoed all around us, I crawled out after him. "Are you okay?" He questioned as he helped me up, my leg snapped back into place just as he questioned me, I thanked Savage for his healing, but he was definetly going to feel that.

"We aren't far from pack territory and there are warriors on the way." Koda informed me as we walked around my car to come face to face with five rogues, one of which I knew was an alpha, I could feel it in my bones, his stench along with his pack mates was overpowering. "Hello luna." He spoke with a grin which made me queasy. Koda growled behind me but I had already found our escape route if he we were fast enough.

I picked up a long glass shard from the ground and the wolves in front of us laughed without humor until I threw it and it pierced right through one of the rogue's neck. "Koda, run."

+++

LMJ