03.

Savage.

Breakfast ended rather abruptly than I had wanted it to, mornings with Matty are always the best and it seems I can't get past the fact that today we opened up to a certain level in intimacy that we shouldn't have, I know it's wrong to have these feelings when I indeed am waiting for my mate, what could it mean, my wolf was no help in deciphering whatever made me feel like this, he was a puppy high on Matty after all.

I washed up and wore something simple, I needed to relax today or I would kill someone, it wasn't really a good day but being with Matty in the mornings always helped, I walked down to the kitchen to find two bottles already full, a note telling me to remember my liquids and also no shouting to pack members, sprinkled with too many hearts, it looked like a child made it and it made me chuckle, he was the second oldest but he acted like he was the youngest, the twins were in college right now, and they were the actual young ones, but they treated Matty like the baby and he reveled in it.

He was too adorable for his own good anyway, what twenty four year old had bunny slippers and butterfly shaped nightlights, I chuckled again and took the bottles with me, it was going to be a long day but I had to survive it. "Morning Alpha." Gerrit greeted just as I walked out, he was the beta of the Cresent Fall pack, a year older than me, but it seemed I was the older one because I cutely brooded according to Matty.

"Morning Gerrit, are our guests here, and have you shown them hospitality?" I questioned and he chuckled, obviously, he hadn't, he hated the Cold Lake alpha and family like any wolf in the pack. "They are in pack territory and no I have not, I don't feel it's necessary." He retorted as we made our way toward the packhouse, it was mostly for unmated wolves, those who wanted to live closer to the others or who just wanted to be there, my office was there too obviously but it was such a bore walking the every day, I still wanted things as they were now, the packhouse could be noisy and never in a fun way.

"Oh let's make sure we give them some kind of impression, it would be rude to have our guests come and leave without some sort of emotional instability." I remarked making him burst out laughing. "You're living up to your name just like uncle but be warned, if Matty were to know he will have your balls." He warned and I shuddered, the thought of Matty chopping it off wasn't appealing at all. "No, no thanks on that one, I'd rather he not know, so shut your mouth." I chortled with a warning growl and he raised his hands in surrender.

The Crescent Fall pack had gained a reputation for killing in battle, we lived up to the family name, we lived up to the protection we offered, and we never faltered, as a family we were strong, never divided and the pack knew it, that's why they had faith in my father and in me to protect them because not once have I let down the pack, I earned my title and their trust, as I trusted them. Gerrit and I got to the packhouse just in time to see the newly shifted wolves take their first steps in their wolves forms, I remembered the pain all too well but also the freedom and the power it gave me.

"You're doing great guys!" I yelled, the men and women watching the new shift waved back in happiness, everyone wanted a little comment or applaud for what they had done, that little praise went a long way, I remembered dad praising me for reciting pack history perfectly, that little praise gave me faith in my ability to learn from the past and incorporate that knowledge in my time as Alpha, which I did, and I've always been proud of myself.

"Today is not a hectic day, just the one thing we have to deal with." Gerrit informed as we walked into my office, we both sighed knowing how badly we just wanted the meeting to be over. "Alpha good morning, they are here." I knew it was one of the wolves charged with guarding the interior of the pack, it wasn't just the border the wolves patrolled, it was inside as well, rogues aren't the only threat we face and it's always best to use caution. "Thank you." I replied just as the low hum of engines filtered into my ears. "Let's get this over with." Gerrit mumbled just as the scent hit me.

It was spicy and sweet, yet it was mixed with something more masculine and strong, an alpha, I surmised, I couldn't sit still knowing my mate was here so I immediately stood up and walked downstairs. "Savage!" Gerrit yelled but I was already down the first flight when I got to the door the scents overpowered me but I stood my ground, the wolves that had come were shocked to see me looking at them with my wolf's eyes until they were on him, my mate, he was, he was. "Pregnant." I whispered as Gerrit stood by my side.

I steeled myself as the man walked to the front, he had noticed too, I knew he had. "You're my mate." He whispered but the words sounded like poison, I had waited for him, I had waited, why couldn't he too. "He's your what?!" The man behind him yelled and I could feel myself getting angry, this was not how it was supposed to go. "Perhaps we should take this into your office alpha." Gerrit interjected and I nodded, we then walked up to my office but the anger and resentment in my chest was building, why did I feel betrayed.

"I'm alpha Cal of the Cold Lake, this is my mate Darren, he was supposed to be alpha but his father saw it fit to give me the title but he remain as my mate." Cal explained and it seemed to anger me, it made me want to rip his head off. "How and why did this happen?" I questioned looking at Darren, he could feel the anger radiating off me. "I'm almost twenty eight and I hadn't found my mate yet, Cal was a good man and he had lost his mate, and as head warrior of our pack, my father trusted him to take care of the pack." He explained and as he did my anger burned away, I couldn't be mad, he had given up.

"So you gave up, do you know who my father is, who my parents are, I haven't loved or touched anyone because I was waiting for you, and now you come to my pack looking for help because of your mistakes, on top of that I learn you're my mate and the thing you couldn't do was wait, I'm almost twenty seven dammit and I'm still waiting!" I yelled as tears burned my eyes, my wolf was crying in agonizing howls. "I can't take you away from the man who fathered your child, I'm not cruel." I asserted looking at him.

I couldn't do this to myself, I couldn't be the villain they wanted me to be, and I couldn't let an innocent suffer because of the mistakes of the adults. "I alpha Reese Savage Heathen, reject you Darren Denver as my mate." I mumbled looking at him, he was supposed to be mine but he wasn't, he was someone else's. Gerrit looked at me in shock, so did every other wolf that had come from the Cold Lake. "I accept." Darren replied as he fell to his knees and Cal caught him, the pain was unbearable but it was done, I needed air, I needed to go, so I ran out of my own office.

"Stick to the plan, I need to be alone." I informed Gerrit through the link as I ran out, the moment I was outside I shifted and ran for the falls, I needed to be away, this was all too much, my heart was breaking, and I didn't know if it could heal. I ran to the falls and just as I got there Blue let out a broken howl, the wolves responded to my cry as I sat down in my wolf form and cried, I felt everything replay, I don't know how long I was there until lavender and crushed herb wafted into my nose, it was Matty with clothes and Tupperware.

He didn't say anything but his eyes were puffy and red, Blue whined seeing him liked that, I shifted back, he immediately clung onto me and cried.

"Oh, Matty."

+++

Vote - Share - Follow - Comment

LMJ