27 | too close for comfort

9TH NOVEMBER

9TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
APHRODITE AND YUMI'S ROOM.

IT WAS TIME. As the long hand of the clock struck eleven, Aphrodite and Yumi sprung out of their beds. It was time to carry the coins, that took them the next two days to collect, from Lex's car and stick them on the café floor. Eleven to twelve was the only time when the cafeteria was empty. It was switch time between the janitors and night-shift guards. Lucky for them, there was a party in the Grand Quarters so most of the students were going to be there. There was no chance of getting caught.

Aphrodite twisted the door knob and poked her head into the tiny gap between to see if the hallway was silent or not. Behind her, Yumi fidgeted with the hem of her t-shirt. Aphrodite could feel something was going through her mind. There had been an intense atmosphere around them. But Aphrodite was too occupied to ponder over it.

"All good," she declared and opened the door completely to walk out. Yumi followed her as they silently marched down the hallway. The silence, the empty hallway--it seemed too easy.

Was this the silence before the storm? I wonder.

Lex and West were already standing near Lex's car which was parked deep in the woods. Aphrodite's eyes searched for Karan but he was nowhere to be found. "Where's Karan?"

"He said he'll be here in a few. He hasn't been replying to our texts after that."

Aphrodite furrowed her eyebrows. Leaving his friends hanging? That was very unlikely of him. "Okay. How about you all carry the bags to coins to cafe. I'll go look for him."

Lex nodded at her and threw a huge plastic bag full of fake coins. The coins made a clink noise when it fell into her arms. Lex and Yumi carried one bag to the café except for West who was carrying a bag of glue bottles.

Aphrodite made her way back to the residential quarters. She knocked on the door of Karan and Lex's room but no one answered. She knocked again. "Go away. Give me ten minutes!" A tiny voice whisper-yelled from inside. Aphrodite twisted the handle and peeked into the room to find Karan sitting on his desk, his back facing the door.

"Hey, buddy," Aphrodite began but immediately paused when she saw his reading glasses thrown on the desk and his hands in his head. He sniffed. "Karan, are you crying?" Aphrodite rested her hand on his shoulder and made him turn around. She pulled his hands away from his face and found tears stained on his cheeks. His eyes were red and she was sure he had been crying for a while.

"Karan, bud, what's wrong?" She grabbed his shoulders and made him sit on his bed. She pulled a chair and sat in front of him. "What's bothering you?" She said with concern.

"I, um. I'm not doing well...academically. Pre-med is hard. I want to be a doc so bad but most of my time is spent behind those pranks and believe me, I like them. It's fun and all but...then reality strikes in and it's so fucking hard. I can't fail classes or forget terminologies. I can't let anyone die again because I was too stupid to remember." He whimpered.