37 | the backlight is on you

trigger warning. this chapter includes death with minor graphic descriptions. Reader's discretion advised.

 Reader's discretion advised

20TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
CAMPUS.

APHRODITE picked up her speed. Her legs trembled as she ran through the empty hallways in the middle of the night. The cold air welcomed her as she pushed the front doors of the residential quarters open. The icy cool air burned the holes in her skin but there was no way she could stop. She stumbled on the uneven cobblestones. She bruised her knee as soon as hit the pointy rocks. She couldn't wait. She stood up and ran towards the woods without dusting her hands. Only one thing was flashing through her head was the text. It was now imprinted in her memory, she didn't need to read it again.

•••

OH DEAR APHRODITE, WE KNOW SOMETHING THE OTHERS DON'T.

WE CAN GIVE YOU PETER, IF YOU RID OF SOMETHING FOR US.

MAKE A DECISION QUICKLY AND REACH THE ORION WOOD.

HURRY UP, THE BACKLIGHT IS ON YOU.

~ the black hole

•••

Her ears buzzed as the voice in her repeated it to her. She could feel every heartbeat, each one whispering to move faster. To get rid of whatever she was supposed to. If not, she'd lose her only chance at finding Peter. Her research on him had been to no avail. Her resources likely had the wrong information. Peter wasn't in Mainland City but he was still out there and she wanted to find her. She needed to. But how could the Black Hole know? The only person she told this to was Lex and she knew he wouldn't tell this to anyone.

A silhouetted figure stood near the woods. Messy hair, looking around frantically. She knew who it was. She approached Karan, but didn't say a word because she heard footsteps following her. She turned around to find West and Lex coming in their direction, unchanged from their jerseys.

"You got the text too?" West asked. Both of them were sweating, gasping for air.

The text. Which means, they had received one too. But why would the Black Hole send a text to them? What secrets did the others keep? Was it something dangerous?

"What are we supposed to get rid of?" Karan questioned. "They've said it in such a threatening way--as if it's a dead body." He laughed. When no one joined him, he pursed his lips and lowered his eyes.

And then came a scream. A loud shrieking scream that made all of them cover their ears. But the sound seemed familiar.

"That's Yumi!" Aphrodite cried out. They picked up their pace and went into the woods after turning the flashlight of their phones on. Dried lips crunched under their feet. Aphrodite's senses sharpened. "Stay close," she warned.