30 | a battle with feelings

17TH NOVEMBER

17TH NOVEMBER.
THUNDERVILLE CITY.
RIVERA'S HOUSE.

"YES...no..." Lex said to the person on the other line. He let out an exasperated sigh. "Shit, no. It is not a fucking Christmas wedding, for fuck's sake. You had one job, Dylan! The wedding is tomorrow. How the fuck did you make a mistake?" He rubbed his temples. "You better fix it up before I throw you off the cliff." He hung up and threw his phone on his bed.

"Geez, way to welcome us, buddy." A voice behind me chuckled. He didn't need a minute to recognize who it belonged to. He turned around to find Karan, West, Aphrodite, and Yumi standing at the door. Lex pressed a smile. Not that he was unhappy to see them, he just couldn't force a smile--not when fucking Dylan messed everything up. If Lex informed Sofia of his blunder, Sofia would either die or kill him. Answers may vary.

"Hey, guys," He said. Even his voice chose to not cooperate with him. "I'm sorry about the outburst." He rubbed a shaky hand through his ruffled hair. "There's a problem and I need to take care of it. Make yourself comfortable. Tobias will show you your rooms in a few."

"Do you need our help?" Aphrodite muttered in a breath.

Lex gave her a weak smile. "Uh, no. I think I can handle it."

"Haan, Aphrodite." Karan looked over his shoulder to see Aphrodite's blue eyes. "I know you're his friend but he's a big boy now. He doesn't need your help." Karan emphasized on the word friend which meant, one thing--he knew. Aphrodite gave him a pointed look but didn't utter a word.

Lex nodded and walked away.

•••

"Hey, um..so...I kinda need your help," Lex muttered in a low voice. He held the phone tightly against his ear, waiting for Aphrodite's response. For what felt like an eternal moment, she remained silent. Then, he heard a small giggle--almost like she was stifling it. He relaxed visibly.

"I thought you're a big boy," she countered. "I remember someone saying I think I can handle it. I wonder who it was." She feigned her lack of memory. Lex didn't reply to her with the usual sense of sarcasm as he would. He wanted to.

He wanted things to reverse. He dreamt of going back to the time when they first met or when he first noticed the sparkle in her eyes or when he saw her smile at him despite the crowd watching her. He dreamt of how things would be different if he had caught feelings for someone who wanted to be with him, who wanted to give it a shot. But thinking of being with someone other than Aphrodite made his heart drop. Even though he dreamt of changing things, he--from the bottom of his heart--knew that he wouldn't.

A smile from Aphrodite was worth thousands of smiles he received from others.

"What do you need my help with?" She said stiffly when he didn't respond.