13 | something is wrong. I have friends

27TH OCTOBER

27TH OCTOBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
GRAND QUARTERS.

HER CHEST WAS being crushed by the pressure applied by her hands as she held her textbooks against her chest. Her legs grew numb as she sprinted down the hallway of the Grand Quarters. She finally found her class and uneasily waited at the threshold.

Her Business Communication Professor, Mr. Baker pried his eyes away from the white board to the girl standing on the doorstep. He twisted the cap of a blue marker and gestured to her to come in. Aphrodite silently made her way to the stairs, feeling everyone's gaze on her. She climbed five steps when she heard him call her out.

"Uh, Ms. Rosie?" Aphrodite turned around.

"It's Rose," she corrected.

"Right. Rosina," he said with spite. Aphrodite clutched her textbooks tightly. "You don't get to arrive ten minutes late and expect me to let you sit behind." He pointed at the seat on the second row. "There. You should be sitting there in my lecture for the whole year." His ocean blue eyes cold with contempt.

"Yes, sir." She said, "I'm sorry."

"Apology not accepted. Turn your assignments in on time and I might let you pass the final exams." Aphrodite clenched her jaw as she stepped down. She sat on the seat Mr. Baker asked her to sit on. The whole row had only five students. The one who sat beside her flashed her a smile.

He flicked his honey blonde hair behind his ear and leaned a little closer to her. "Don't worry about Mr. Baker. He is like a coconut," the boy mumbled.

She rolled her eyes at Mr. Baker who was busy writing a few terms and their definitions on the white board. "Probably the type that has tasteless water inside."

The boy chuckled. "I meant, hard on the outside and sweet from the inside."

"I beg to differ," Aphrodite scoffed.

"Jonah," he said and extended his hand. Aphrodite shook hers and introduced herself. "Aphrodite," he savoured her name. "Your family into Greek Mythology?"

"My mom was obsessed with Greek Mythology when she had me. Now I suppose she's sick of my ginormous name and prefers to introduce me as Aphy," Aphrodite answered and snapped her head back to her textbook, wondering why she was over sharing with a random stranger.

"I--" Jonah paused when Mr. Baker turned around and continued with his lecture without sparing a glance at Aphrodite. She tried her best to hide her rage towards this man but there was something about his eyes that she couldn't help but think. She had seen them somewhere. The hollow socket in his eyes, the bags underneath. She knew he had met her somewhere and she suspected that he knew her too.

•••

Aphrodite made her way to her next lecture. Her eyes scanned around the lecture hall searching for that one face. When she failed to find him, she sent him a text asking where the hell he was.