44 | and the mission continues

29TH NOVEMBER

29TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
CAMPUS.

LAST night, Aphrodite slept for just two hours. Not only because Jessica was following her, but also because her step-brother was a part of the same society that made her do something unimaginable. The look on her step-brother's face--his placid skin and the lack of charm in his eyes--deciphered one thing. Josh was not involved in the murder of Jessica Patterson. Josh didn't want to be at the secret meeting. He wanted to go out there looking for Jessica but his loyalty and commitment to The Black Hole made him compromise.

She didn't get a chance to talk to him after that meeting. The Headmaster--or the High Master--of The Black Hole dismissed everyone because he had some urgent business. From the minimal attention that she paid when Issac--yes, he too was a part of this torturous club--told the workings of The Black Hole, she understood that this Black Hole was serious business. Everyone was assigned with tasks and were told to report to Issac and Mia--the same Mia who was the fake victim at the whole Vampire act that they played on Ben.

Aphrodite mentally cringed at the fact that she had asked the members of The Black Hole for a task that they had asked to complete.

The two hour sleep that she managed to catch was interrupted by a nightmare. Unlike the previous nightmares, where Jessica pointed at her with blood dripping down her forehead--last night's dream had Josh in it. Josh was holding Jessica in his arms as she took her last breaths. She whispered something to Josh while Aphrodite stood near them, tears rolling down her eyes. Josh stood up--anger flashing through his eyes. "You killed her. You murdered my girlfriend. How could you do that to me?" Josh yelled at her.

It wasn't until Yumi woke her up when she heard her scream. Yumi offered her a glass of water and they sat beside each other in darkness. The only sound that echoed in the room was their occasional breaths.

Next day, Aphrodite went for a run. She had been doing that for days now. It helped her mind off of things especially when loud metal music blasted through her headphones.

She, like the others, had trouble concentrating during lectures. But hey, her grades were fine so, no big deal.

She was in the middle of her Mr. Baker's lecture when she received a text.

Can we meet at five instead of three? Urgent Black Hole business. Josh had written. The moment that she was agitated about was postponed even more. She didn't want to face Josh. She couldn't see the look in his eyes. She couldn't sit in front of the boy whose girlfriend she had gotten rid of. She couldn't.

I lost my brother and I don't want you to lose yours.

Yumi's words echoed in her mind so she replied with Okay and stuffed her phone back into the pocket of her jeans when the bell rang. She hurried out of the class, waving goodbye to Jonah and finding her way to the cafeteria. She entered the crowded the cafeteria and sat at their usual table. She was the first one to arrive.