47 | a not-so dead end

29TH NOVEMBER

29TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
THE RESTRICTED SECTION.

APHRODITE and Lex marvelled at the view in front of them. The room was wide with shelves filled with new and old books, journals, diaries. Aphrodite tried to process the names of the shelves and aisles. Half of them didn't even make sense to her but neither did her life and well, she wasn't dead yet so she ignored the howl in her stomach--the gnawing feeling that this is going to be a dead end. It was a long shot, at best.

Lex turned his head towards her. His eyebrows raised and mouth puckered.

But hey, he was with her. Maybe it's not all bad.

Not yet, at least.

"Which section should we look up first?" He questioned.

"Um, history seems like a good choice." She pointed at the section.

His brown eyes glowed as his fingers brushed against her palm. She released her clenched fists at his gentle touch. His long fingers tickled against her skin as he interlaced them with her fingers. He rubbed circles on her skin and his lips curled upwards. It was that curve of smile that only Aphrodite had access to. "Ready to break a new rule, Ms. Rose?"

"As long as you're with me, Mr. Rivera." He chuckled at her response and pulled her towards the history section. They passed through the aisle, their eyes reading the names of the files and books that they walked past. Aphrodite was tempted to check the yearbook pictures of Orion Academy's graduates but was reminded by Lex that they had less than forty minutes to both find relevant information and escape without getting caught.

She paused at the Other Societies section and tapped on Lex's shoulder. They exchanged a few looks. Lex jammed his hand forward to pull volume one and pass it to her and took the second one for himself. With each new page that she turned, a crispy sound echoed around. These books haven't been opened in years. The yellowing pages and dusty covers made that undoubtable. They scanned through the pages but no new names striked out. Strangely enough, The Black Hole wasn't mentioned even in the slightest.

"In all seriousness," Aphrodite spoke, which made Lex pry his eyes away from the book. "What kind of academy names their own library as the supermassive library? Self-centered, much?"

Lex gave her a perplexing smile. His eyes wandered off to somewhere past her. He carefully pushed the book back onto the shelf and he chewed his tongue. The playful smirk on Aphrodite's face faded when Lex ran past her. She followed him to the main entrance to find him staring at the name board.

"God, I am so stupid." Lex facepalmed.

"No shit, Sherlock." Lex rolled his eyes at Aphrodite's un-Aphrodite like comment. She pressed her lips in a thin line. "Right, sorry. Why do you think you are stupid, my dear smart boyfriend?"

"I loved reading and watching movies about space and everything related to that topic. Supermassive is a type of black hole--the largest Black Hole. So, when you said that it was self-centered for them to name their own library supermassive--it hit me that it has nothing to do with the adjective."