Chapter 4: Crisis

Chapter 4: Crisis

Akira/Kitsu's POV:

It's been two months since I have started working with the League. They were all quite friendly. But man, they sure were reckless, despite my warning

Almost every night, someone would come into the medical bay with some sort of injury. By now, I have met and treated all the members at least twice, with the exception of a few. Although, I think the only real reason he would talk to me was that Batman put him up to it. I'm so glad I lined my face shield and cloak with lead because Superman isn't able to see through that material. Thus my identity was still safe.

Some of the League members were still skeptical about my age. Others would tease and give me nicknames like "Munchkin" or "short stack". I did not quite appreciate the nicknames. Let's just say that Green Lantern learned his lesson after his last teasing attempt. Soon, the members learned to not refer to me in such names.

Although that didn't stop Batman from trying to figure me out.

_________________________

Flashback

7 weeks ago

I was studying my English in the infirmary when Batman and Martian Manhunter came in.

Martian was a very interesting individual. He showed much compassion, but at the same time sounded cold and disheartened. He was also not human. His biology was very complex and different from that of a human. It was fascinating. I had asked the martian if I could get a further examination of his biology so that I am prepared to help adequately when needed. So that was why he was here today, but I'm not sure about Batman.

"Hello Kitsu," Manhunter greeted. I nod my head in acknowledgment and set my English studies to the side.

When I wasn't helping a patient, I was learning English. With the help of the supercomputer, some league members, and some books that the league had provided for me, I learned English in my downtime and when I wasn't treating anybody.

"Thank you for doing this. Lay down... bed please," I tried speaking in English.

"Of course," he said. He proceeds to do so until Batman holds him back.

"You need something?" I asked, knowing where this might be heading.

"We need you to do a full mental evaluation. To ensure everyone's safety, we need to know your true intentions," he states. Of course, he did, the only reason he accompanied Manhunter.

"Very well, won't find anything."

I'm used to having someone in my head, grew up with Kurama most of my life. So I know how to filter through my thoughts and keep certain things hidden without detection. My mental barriers were quite strong. But for the sake of getting the bat off my ass, I lowered the mental barrier and hid the details I wanted to keep hidden, hidden.

Batman nods at the martian, who looks uncomfortable about the situation. His eyes began to glow and I could feel the presence of someone else in my head.

When his eyes began to dim, I could see the confusion in his eyes.

"Your mind is surprisingly calm and clear. It was too clear in fact."

Oops, might have overdone the filtering. Batman just glares at me with new suspicions. Great.

______________________

The times I didn't spend at the Watchtower, I would be in Japan. In the morning, I would go to the Watchtower and treat those who obtained injuries from their crime-fighting gigs. Then I would come back mid-afternoon and take care of errands or train out in the forested areas. Sometimes, I would go to the wooded areas and collect medicinal herbs for remedies. At night, I had taken up patrolling and stopping small crimes that usually involved Yakuza's in Tokyo, but my existence for the most part is still unknown.