Chapter 2: The Banquet

Eloise was leisurely looking at her reflection through the vanity table as Charles dress and adore her for hours now while the other servants assisted him.

Charles Bertin is a famous seamster in the Kingdom and a sought-after designer especially for noble women. It is real luxury to have a dress made by him as you need to make a reservation for at least one year before you can wear clothes he designs from a queue of waiting customers.

Even up to this point, she doesn't know how Nathaniel managed to hire him. Just how much money did he spent on him?

"I'll make you the prettiest woman in the banquet tonight. A beauty that will never fail to catch every single eye."

She chose to stay silent and awkwardly smiled at him. She doesn't even want to attend the banquet and stay close to the Duke. But of course, she cannot say it out loud.

"Every dress I make really suits you well. Because of your beauty, I am able to explore and expand my creations."

Once she finished putting on her dress, the maids enthusiastically assisted him on selecting the most fitting jewelry that will complement the rest of her outfit.

The gown was made from the finest silk, its Turkish blue bodice has hand-embroidered patterns and lace trimmings with elbow-length sleeves that perfectly hugged her curves. A beige bouffant style petticoat was paired which extended just below her ankles.

What shall I do? Will I be able to act normally in front of him? Just a sight of him makes me tremble in fear. Looking at his eyes fills me with pain and resentment.

"The lilac necklace suits you really well, Your Grace. It matches your hair color."

The maid's compliment caught her out of her reverie.

Her clear blue eyes sparkled like the apparent ocean that glints under the sunlight. Her unusual wavy lilac-colored hair that flows softly down her waist flutters even with the lightest touch. She has an attractive face with a small body frame and a pale complexion that makes her look like a living doll.

She doesn't mean to brag but she is known as the most beautiful woman in the Kingdom. In fact, it was the reason why she was wedded to him.

"Your Grace, the young Lady has arrived."

"Let her in."

The maids opened the door, inside was a busy man sitting in front of a desk filled with messy piles of paper. She slowly walked inside stopping two steps away from him.

"Leave us alone."

The man ordered as the maids exited the room one by one, leaving only the two of them inside. The ear deafening silence made Eloise nervous, cold sweat dripping in her palms.

She cannot stop herself from fidgeting beneath her father's measuring gaze. He never called her unless it is to reprimand her faults and punish her.

"I heard you called for me father?"

Her father, the Count of Credieu was a very strict man. He never shows mercy, even to his family. He was a cruel man who favors fortune over blood ties.

The Count fixed his posture before turning his attention to Eloise, his cunning eyes settled on hers who is standing in front of him. Although he has the same blue eyes as hers, his gaze was never of a father looking at his daughter with affection.

"I called to discuss about your marriage."

Her eyes grew wide from shock as her heartbeat increased. She stood frozen from her spot, as if cold water was splashed on her.