Chapter 7: The Ducal Wedding

Eloise slowly walked down the aisle. Her long, white wedding dress was dragging over as she dejectedly moved her feet towards the other end. She was stunningly beautiful with her white dress hugging elegantly in her body, yet she was the most forlorn bride.

The alluring gown was designed by the renowned designer, Charles Bertin. The dress was commissioned a week ago and it was really fascinating that he finished it during that small amount of time. It was a floor-length gown meticulously designed with gem studs, beads and laces. It is shaped and fitted through the bodice and flares out at the waist in a triangular fashion. Her pale shoulders are exposed with only lace sleeves that drape gracefully off-the shoulder. From the looks of it, the gown is surely expensive.

It was Wednesday during winter season which is the most propitious day for marriages. The ceremonial hall was perfectly adorned with flowers and everything screams extravagance and opulence.

The hall was filled with high ranking nobles and officials who came to witness the wedding of the most-sought-after Duke of the Kingdom. However, Eloise already expected the measuring gazes that fall upon her.

Who wouldn't be alarmed if a wallflower suddenly climbed the social ladder by marrying the eligible Duke of Fleiss. She was just an outcast until yesterday.

Her trembling hands felt cold as she tightly clasp her wedding bouquet. It was a combination of hyacinth, peonies and lily-of-the-valley.

"You did well, Eloise. Keeping you alive was worth it." 

His father's venomous words the previous night played in her mind and her heart wrenched in pain.

She was just a disposable tool for him. Barely keeping her alive and giving her recognition just because of her pretty face and now she was wedded for money with a stranger she only met once.

She could still recall how delighted his father is when the enormous gifts from the Duke arrived at their residence. It was to assume that greater gifts will be expected in the future.

Seeing how pleased he is, Eloise couldn't bring up her own disheartenment.  Her father would surely beat her to death if she ever disappointed him so she thought it would be easier to conceal the bitterness in her heart. Though she was worried on how she would carry it through the years.

There's no point in pleading with him anyway. Even if she refuse, her father would still marry her off to another noble sooner or later. She would rather marry the Duke of Fleiss than thinking of the possibility of being wedded to an old, short and lardy man.

"At least try pretending to be happy if you decide to marry me." The sharp words of the man dragged her out of her reverie.

Eloise lifted her gaze to the tall figure of the man, his large physique made her look more fragile as she stood beside him. She cannot help herself to shudder at the sight of the callous man who stares at her with cold, indifferent eyes. His piercing gaze made her shrink in fear, she thought she's gonna faint but she knew how embarrassing it would be for both of their families if she did so.

Her eyes shifted to his father who is standing among the high ranking guests. His gaze was full of contempt as he figure out her hesitation. Taking deep breaths, she tried to control her tears from spilling yet a traitorous drop still escaped from her eyes.

She hates her life, she hates herself for having no freedom. She does not even know if the Duke would treat her any better. At the end of the day, she would always be ill-treated because of her low birth.

"If you don't want this marriage, you could still run away. This is the last chance I could give."

"N-no!" she shuddered at the thought of ruining their marriage. Panic crossed through her eyes. Her father wouldn't let it slide. Her supposed to be wedding day might be her last day of living. "I'm sorry."