Chapter 19: Visit

With the starlit sky in perfect black, the moon was full as the time strucks at midnight. The Lord of the castle who just returned spent a lot of time soaking in the bathtub. The steam from the hot water calmed his nerves and the exhaustion he accumulated from his long travel.

Just as he closed his eyes and immense himself in his relaxing bath, the duteous vassal appeared.

"You have summoned me, Milord." Knox lowered his head as soon as he entered.

"I believe you have something I wanted to hear." Nathaniel opened his eyes and his cold cruel eyes bore to him, "How could some mere knights disrespect the lady of the house while the Lord was gone."

Knox felt numb on his feet as he quietly swallowed. Cold sweat flowed at his temple, the room was wrapped in silence, only the water dripping on the tub and the loud beating of his heart was all he could hear.

"Apologies, Your Grace. This matter was taken care of and I thought there is no use of reporting about it."

"I have ears and eyes around my territory, Knox." The Duke replied in a matter-of-fact tone that made him more nervous.

"Of course, Your Grace. But this servant of yours already made sure that those reckless knights received their punishment according to what occurred at the banquet."

"Sure. But do you think showing them mercy by merely stripping them off their knighthood was the right thing?"

Knox paused for a second, selecting his words as he could feel that his master was really upset. He must give him a satisfactory answer or he would really erupt in anger. "The Madame wouldn't be glad to hear someone getting incapacitated because of her. It would break her heart."

The butler felt proud of himself when he saw him stilled. His previously knotted brows softly relaxed, returning to his stoic expression.

The Duke fell silent for a moment before he heaved a sigh, "Sometimes I doubt to whom you pledged your loyalty."

A corner of the butler's lips tugged upwards at his Lord's response though it immediately disappeared before anyone could even see and his usual formal tone returned.

"I serve for the Fleiss Duchy."

His master just shook his head in disbelief. Water splashed as he stood up and left the tub, undisturbed of the presence of his vassal as he walked out bare like the day he was born.

Knox helped his proud master wore his robe and followed his strides toward the adjacent room.

Just as they reached the meeting room, the knights were already gathered. Nathaniel sat at the end of the long table and gestured his hand as a sign that they could start.

His stoic face was unwavering as he listen to the knights' report for the past month regarding everything that happened within the territory.

"I didn't expect you to be so heedless, Reagan." Everyone in the room fell silent as his cold voice rang across the room as they tackle about the commotion during the festival.

Reagan felt guilty of his negligence. The Duke was right, he was entrusted of the Duchess' safety and he shouldn't had left her side no matter what. It was his own indecisiveness that put her in harm.

"Please forgive me, Your Grace. I deserve punishment."

"Its enough that you recognize your mistake, but do not disappoint me for a second time."

The knight just lowered his head, unable to utter a reply, then the Duke returned his attention to the butler.

"What about the investigation?"