Chapter 13: Wolf's Bane

"Until when are you planning to pull this act."

Nyx stared at the woman in front of him. Her limbs were tied at the chair, worn-out clothes, disheveled hair, her bare feet were filled with bruises and wounds, even while her eyes were fixated at her feet, he could see fatigue and pain over her.

"Silence won't save you. If you continue your stubbornness, you'll end up dying." Nyx stood up and heated the long iron rod into the fire.

In the corner of his eyes, he saw how her expression changed for a moment. A glint of fear escaped from her eyes while anticipating the fifth excruciating pain for that day from countless torment she experienced at the dungeon.

Bullets of sweat covered Lydia's face as she stare at the hot rod lifted from the fire, her hair was already damped and clung to the side of her face while her lips were already chapped from water deprivation.

She bit her lips hard to control her scream as soon as the scorching rod came into contact with her exposed skin. Her already numb body was twisting uncontrollably while trying to endure the pain. Her tied wrists and ankles were sore and bruised from the tight grip of the iron chair that bounds her body.

Lydia doesn't know how time flowed, the moment the rod lifted, she was already at the verge of losing consciousness. She cannot even lift a single finger, her face was drained of color as she stare at her feet.

Nyx waited for the maid's answer but Lydia remained unfazed. His eyes shifted to his master who was silent the whole time. His eyes were closed as he sit in a corner but he knew he was listening.

It has been a week since they started the interrogation but they haven't heard a single confession. Lydia was persistent on hiding the truth behind the treacherous act.

The Brookes family were loyal followers of the Fleiss Dukedom. They had been serving for years, personally aiding every generation's Duke. Lydia's mother, Imelda, was also a trusted companion of the former Duke of Fleiss.

Days before the Duchess' departure, the Duke asked him to investigate about the Duchess' persistent migraines. But there are no history of medical treatments nor any signs of illness, rather, what he found was a toxic compound she was obliviously consuming for months.

Lydia, a trusted servant of the Duchess was infusing a compound known as Benziform to the candles while the Duchess were alone at her room. It was an odorless substance that causes headaches and lethargy when inhaled. Worse, the longer exposure from it will deteriorate the body.

"Just... kill me." Lydia mouthed through harsh breathe. Her eyes were half-lidded as she tried to stay conscious. With all her remaining strength, she stared back at Nyx as the corner of her lips tugged upwards to mock him, "You.. won't get.. anything from me."

Nyx heaved a sigh, touching the bridge of his nose as he tried to control his losing temper. "You're such a pain in the arse."

He was about to pick another torturing object when his master stood from his seat.

"Step aside."

In a split second, he already drew his sword from the sheathe and the next thing he knew, Lydia was already screaming in pain as the sharp sword pierced her right hand.

Nathan's golden eyes were sharp and intense as he stare back at her. He was like a predator whose about to devour his prey. "This is the last chance I could give. Next time, I'll cut your limbs one by one until I severe your head. Choose your fate wisely."

Nathan applied forced that made the sword struct deeper and made Lydia cry in wrenching pain. "Tell me, who gave you the order to harm my wife?"

Lydia tried to stifle her screams and grit her teeth in anguish as she tried to tolerate the persistent pain, "Does Your Grace think eliminating me will save the Duchess?"