Chapter 4: Escape Plan

When Eloise woke up the sun was already at its zenith, she sat up leaning against the headboard. The memories from yesterday kept lingering in her mind. Meeting the Duke once again was a frightening experience, it was a nightmare she badly wants to escape. Thinking how she would experience that life again made her pity herself. Eloise was reminded of her death as she gently touched her neck, a lone tear escaping her eye.

I must escape from this misery.

She shook her head to dismiss her thoughts and decided to pull the rope that will call the maids outside the room. As if on cue, the maids arrived one by one.

"Help me bathe."

"Yes, Your Grace. "

The maids attended her in bathing, they dressed her with fancy clothes paired with expensive jewelries. The beige colored dress has a short sleeve adorned with laces and gem studs that shines by reflected light. After fitting on the dress, the servants lined up and made her choose from the jewelries that she can't even count until now. It is the life of the Duchess of Fleiss. The luxury of someone with a commoner blood like her can get by marrying the Duke.

If only she was like the other nobles who gets satisfied by such luxurious life, she won't mind living with a husband who doesn't love her. But for Eloise, who was longing for love ever since she was a child, she was yearning for someone to accept her. She was a victim of abuse. She was broken. She was incomplete and never had a place she belong to.

When she married him, Eloise thought she's finally free from his father's shackles that bound her for years. Nathaniel gave her home, a place where she could be at peace. The servants treat her with respect that even her family cannot give. He made her feel safe in his arms. Even though he was cold towards her, he never hurt her nor took advantage of her weakness. But everything took a huge turn when he met the woman he fell in love with.

She saw her reflection at the mirror and was reminded of the events last night. The warmth of his words trickles her heart and she felt afraid how this wave of emotions could shaken her resolve if it continues further. Human emotions are really fickle. Even rationality can be clouded if driven by emotions.

He may not be someone to hurt her for now but everything will change once he meet her. He will do everything to get rid of her even if it means killing her. She must get out of their marriage before that happens.

Eloise felt the threatening emotions that began to rise again on her heart. She tried to suppress it and strengthen her resolve. In this matter, her life was on the line and she shouldn't waver further. With that on mind, she nodded inwardly as she think of her escape.

I must set up my escape plan.

As if on cue, Knox knocked to the door and inform her of breakfast.

"Okay, I'll go down in a minute. Thank you, Knox."

Knox just politely lowered his head and turned around.

"What about His Grace?" she suddenly thought of the possibility of them dining together and felt uncomfortable.

"His Grace ordered to have his meal at his office. Because of his long absence, he had matters that needs immediate attention waiting at his office."

She felt relieved at his answer. He really must be busy. He was gone for half a year because of the war and he must have a pile of work that he needs to tend promptly. She remembered him mentioning it to her last night.

"If you wish, I will inform His Grace that you want to dine together."

"A-ah, No! That won't be necessary."