Chapter 12: Lantern Festival (2)

The festival proceeded until midnight. The streets were crowded by aristocrats and common people who came for the festival.

Aside from the various shops like shoemakers, milliners, blacksmiths and haberdashers, food stalls also covered the streets selling a wide variety of viand. Sweets like pies, flans and tarts, pastries filled with meats, lamb's trotters, pickled whelks, warm eels and hot pea scods. There are also soups intended to warm the stomach in the cold autumn night like ox tail and hot pea soup. Of course, liquors wouldn't miss the ocassion, full-bodied and heavy beers like ruby ales, brown ales and it is also the season for mulled wines.

Eloise leisurely paraded the streets, partially feeling bad for the other people with her huge entourage. She could feel their uneasiness as they stare at the fifteen knights tailing behind her.

I wish I could escape from them.

Eloise heaved a sigh knowing how difficult it was. Her eyes drifted to Lara who was silent the whole night. She would give her a glance once in a while like she was hesitating to tell her something.

"Is there something wrong, Lara?"

Lara seemed surprised by her question and was taken aback for a moment before she reluctantly voiced out her thoughts.

"I-I'm sorry, Your Grace. The truth is..." Lara trailed, weighing if she was supposed to tell her, "I r-received a confession this morning." Her eyes fixed at her feet as red tinge painted her cheeks.

Eloise fell surprised for a moment, not knowing the right words to say but soon flashed a grin, "Really? I'm happy for you."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Lara answered with a relieved smile.

"Then, what's bothering you?"

"I was a-asked to meet him tonight during the festival but I was reluctant to leave your side."

"N-no. It's alright. You should go. These gentlemen will not leave me in harm." Eloise pointed out to her huge entourage who seems oblivious of their conversation.

"Is it really okay for me to leave?"

"Of course. You should take Reagan with you."

Within seconds, Reagan's eyes widen in surprise hearing his name called out. Even Lara never expected to have the esteemed knight as an escort. He was considered the Duchess' personal knight picked by the Duke himself.

"It's alright, Your Grace. I can walk on my own."

"No, the streets are crowded and you may encounter some miscreants and fall in harm. Take Reagan with you." Eloise insisted before shifting her eyes to her knight who was silent the whole night.

"Reagan, I leave Lara's well-being to your hands. Please escort her to her destination and ensure she arrive safely to meet that person."

"Yes, Your Grace."

"But how could I? Sir Reagan was assigned to specifically guard Your Grace at all times." Lara refused with confused eyes.

"Don't worry, Lara. The other gentlemen behind me were all skilled knights of the Lucianus Order. Sir Reagan's temporary absence won't leave me in harm."

Knowing they cannot refute her words, the two reluctantly left. Eloise smiled and watched the two disappear from the crowd before she continued her walk.

Townspeople were gathered at the plaza for the comic theater. There are also some minstrel and strolling musicians on the streets. Some knights were already drunk and were having boisterous conversations. Thankfully, there are still no signs of commotion at the crowded plaza.