chapter 1

Kandis laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her thought jumping in her mind as if they were kept on fire. One thing kandis dearly love in her life is her family. Recovering from her parents death when she was eight years old was tough but her uncle, who she called Mr. Ducas cared for her as his daughter.

She trusted and loved him. After her parent's death, Mr. Ducas took the role of her guardian.

Her eyes pricked and the familiar hurt came across her heart as she thought more and more about the small note left by Mr. Ducas.
Biting at her lower lip to hold back the tears, she got up and stared at the note kept on her desk across her bed.

Picking up the thin small sheet she sat on the chair and read those hurtful words again and again. Were those supposed to be the last words of him to her ?

" Kat,

I am sorry, I have to leave. Don't wait for me, don't look for me. Live your life.

Please, don't look for us "

She could understand what that message meant but she desperately needed someone to tell her that she just misunderstood the message or anything which would deny her assumptions.

Finally, she gave up on her sleep and got ready for a early morning run.  Clicking the door lock, She walked down the stairs to the parking lot.

Staring at the empty space where her uncle used to park his Mercedes, sudden longing called out to her. Denying her emotions she started her run.

Her mind was lost in those beautiful past memories. She ran with no thought of where her legs were taking her. As the realisation crippled in her heart, those memories shattered. Her throat clogged and the eyes burned.

Soon her legs got weaken and started losing energy, she started breathing heavily but she didn't stop running till she got back to her apartment.

She got ready for school, hair tied up in a messy ponytail.

As she entered the primises, the chirping of students was heard. Unlike the chirping of birds, these we more noisy and annoying. She would have listened to the most interesting conversation if today was a normal day.

She reached her locker and ignored the gossips of girls beside her.

Thought about Mr. Ducas and her parent's death ran into her mind again, today was going to be tough. The wound is fresh and pressed upon
the unhealed scar beneath it.

As the time goes by, her mind started spinning and she felt a heavyweight of herself on her shoulders.

The ringing of the bell pulled her out of her endless thoughts. She got into her class. Seeing Mr. Jackson, her history teacher waving a hand towards her she forced a smile and greeted him  "good morning. Mr. Jackson", Mr. Jackson gave her a nod with a small smile and turned towards the class. Kandis sat on the third seat beside the window and kept her head down to have some silence. Last night's tiredness kicked in and she fell asleep.

The bell rang, she woke up and saw a Boy sitting besides her, packing his stuffs. His glamorous brow eyes, long eyelashes and perfect eyebrow shape might have made her a little jealous.

Feeling her stare, he turned towards her.
" Good morning "

Kandis frowned but gave a nod. Picking her bag up on the desk, she  packed all her stuff.

" Are you new here? "

He gave a small nod. " Callen, and you are ? "

"Kandis, but you might like to stay away from me. I am just letting you know though" She shrugged.

Callen gave a suspicious look at her and went out of the class.

Eric joined Kandis in the corridor, flashing his eyebrows teasingly
" what was that earlier in class? "

" if you want Olivia's number, i can get it for you" Eric blushed and Kandis smirked. 

" You can't just bribe me like that ! " Eric complaint with a burst of small laughter.

" You want it or not? "

" I- umh sure i guess" he blushed.

Kandis and Eric spent their time near their lockers until the bell rang indicating that their free time is over.

Kandis reached the class late but the teacher wasn't there yet. She looked around classroom and saw Eric cornered by few boys. Observing the tension between the group she knew he was getting bullied.

She stepped into the middle of the group, pulling back a guy by his hoddie and making space for her to stand.
Michael, the guy who was verbally abusing Eric looked at her.

" If you don't want your hands broken Michael, i would advise you to drop you hands down and let him leave "

" And i would do that? Why? Because you said so? "

" Be grateful that I said so or i could show you"

Michael stepped forward but the guys behind him pulled him back and whispered something to him. His face twisted and he glared at kandis.

" I will see you later for this " he spoke roughly and the group went back to their seats.

" How do you manage to attract the bees ? " Kandis asked, small smile lingering on her face.

" Maybe I am the flower" Eric snorted.