chapter 3

Her eyebrows moved up when she saw Callen but she didn't speak anything and saw that little boy with Nora while Callen handled those men and called the police. Kandis thanked Callen and moved towards the child and gave him a hug and asks" are you okay? What is your name? Where do you live? Okay tell me your parent's phone number first".

"You can call me Asher, I don't really tell my name to anyone but you saved me and I don't have parents, I live in an orphanage home and I don't know who those men were! It's The first time I saw them". That boy replied. He looked down at his shoes.

"It's okay, you are safe . we will send you back to your place so, don't worry ". Kandis said and pulled him in her arms again, he started crying and Kandis could feel cold tears through the blacktop on her shoulder. Nora bent down and run her hands through his hair to calm him down while Kandis said comforting words to him.

The police found the orphanage where Asher lives and before going Kandis asks Asher " do you want a chocolate ?"

he was hesitating but said yes with a sheepish smile. Kandis and Nora's eyes met and they gave a laugh, giving a bar of chocolate to the boy They said goodbye and the police sent him to his orphanage.

Kandis saw Callen and moved towards him and asked " why were you here? " Callen thought of ignoring her as he has the habit of ignoring girls who flirt with him but came back to sense knowing Kandis wasn't flirting with him and said, " I was passing by ".

"You followed me, didn't you! " Kandis knew he was following her. Callen did not show any surprise or interest as he knew Kandis is good at observing and that there was no point in lying.

"I saw you in my neighborhood so I just followed you without any intention ". Callen told. She ignored him and just said " thanks for your help ".

"How can you be so fearless! Why would you get yourself involved in these matters !". Callen snapped at her.

'Keep your voice down or you want help from me to do that ". She said in a calm voice, her eyebrows raised . After a few seconds of silence she told, " it seemed like it was their first time doing something like that ".

"What do you mean by that?". Nora asked.

"They didn't fight her back, they were just defending themselves". Callen said.

Callen also observed everything and knew she was right so, he ignored her again and said " I am leaving" After taking a few steps Kandis stops him and says
" You - " she gave a frustrated sigh.
" Nevermind, but where do you live? ".

" Two blocks away from your house".

" What ! And I am knowing this now ! ".

" Seems like that ". He turned around and smiled to himself and left.

Next day when Kandis entered the classroom. She heard a lot of shuffles and heard Lucas ask
" Miller, aren't you orphaned yet?" loud enough for his friend to hear.

Kandis turned her eyes on that person, Lucas was a muscular guy with brown hair, glancing at her, his lips twisting into a wry smile as he see her.

Anger burst inside her, burning away Every other emotion, she clung to the feeling, finding safety in it, as she rearranged her features into an expression of mild curiosity.

" Lucas I saw your car outside. " The guy's forehead creased with confusion.

" And I am pretty sure you love that car more than your life... ". Kandis said.

" Don't you dare touch it ".

David's body tensed as his fist clenched,

Ignoring his comment Kandis continued " and probably you don't even know where you have parked your car, might have asked David to park it right? ". She nodded.

" What are you trying to say ? ". Lucas asked

" Well, you can save your car now if you want to. You still have some time left. " She leaned at the wall while Lucas glared at David and asked where he parked the car but before David, Kandis answered that for him " probably in the non-parking zone ? and you know how strictly parking rules are followed here, and you aren't a newly transferred student to get excused with this trouble ".

As he heard Kandis he ran outside with all his energy, And Kandis chuckled at him.

laughter filled the air in class while David was glaring at her.

"Do it". She said, her voice as cold as ice "I am dying for a reason to punch someone ". She took a step forward.

Surprise and hesitation flashed in David's eyes and Kandis relaxed. Stuffing her hands Into her pockets, she took a step back and shrugged.

"Pity, I thought you might actually be up for a challenge", she said, disappointed.

More laughter and jeers surrounded them. David crossed his arms to make himself look relaxed. He smirked, the gesture forced.

"Normally I am, but I am not allowed to hit girls", he said, his voice mocking.

Kandis nodded.

"Funny, that was my reason for not hitting you", she said.

She walked away before David had the chance to respond. The laughter of his friends followed her down to her seat.

She tossed her bag onto the table And settled into her stool. As she pulled Out her notebook a figure took the seat beside her. She looked over and saw Eric smiling at her.

She gave a smile but before she could open her mouth the teacher came in and said " no talking, get back to your seats".

The room stilled and class started.

........

After one hour bell rang, sending the Room into flurry motion. Kandis took her bag and followed Eric out of the classroom. Kandis leaned against a set of lockers and waited for Eric. A moment later Callen stepped from the doorway, Olivia came by his side.

"So you know if you ever need help on anything. let me know". She gave a small playful smile. "I am a pretty good teacher ", she said.

Kandis snorted, Drawing the girl's attention and receiving an annoyed glare.

"I was completely lost about the whole thing about polymerization reaction, are you willing to teach me? Kandis asked. "Or is it only attractive males that you have the heart of a teacher for ?"

The blonde girl's cheeks flamed red and her eyes blazed with anger, Kandis smile widened and the girl spun away. Kandis pushed herself off the locker and started walking, Eric and Callen falling into step beside her.

"Were you jealous that someone else offered to tutor Callen?" Eric asked. Kandis gave him a flat look and he responded with a pleased smile while Callen ignored their talk.