Seventeen

The thunderous sound of a fetal heartbeat pumped through the room as the sonologist roamed the transducer over Amber's stomach, 2D images of the fetus coming in full view on the screen.

Amber was now officially ten weeks pregnant meaning the baby's heart was fully developed, beating at about 180 beats per minute. Other vital organs such as the kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver were all starting to function too. The baby was still very small, comparable to the size of a strawberry, but making its presence known with the way Amber was going through a series of mood swings and morning sickness.

"Wow." Amber said with teary eyes, hearing the babies heart beat for the first time ever.

"How you even doing that?" Saint asked the sonologist with a raised eyebrow.

"So the device I'm using called the transducer releases sound waves, which bounce off the fetus's bones, fluids, and tissues to create an image of the baby in your womb." The ultrasound tech explained.

Saint didn't really know what he was looking at in the slightly distorted image of what appeared to be a fetus, but it made shit real hearing a heart beat that he would be responsible for protecting for the rest of his life.

After a couple copies of the ultrasound pictures were printed and were assured that the baby was doing fine, they scheduled an appointment with the doctor to come back in a few weeks.

"Here." Amber said, handing over a copy of the pictures once they were back in the car.

Taking the picture from her he looked down at the black and white image in hand, deep in thought. He was still having a hard time adjusting to having a kid, it was all so surreal. He didn't know how to feel about it yet.

"Um Amar'e are you good?" He heard Amber ask, noticing he didn't start the car yet to leave.

Her voice broke him out his thoughts, handing the pictures back over to her. "I'm straight."

"Those are yours to keep." She said with a frown, now holding the pictures in her hand.

"Hold on to it for me." He mumbled as she let out a deep sigh.

"You coming to Savannah with me later tonight?" She asked, sparking up conversation as he pulled out the parking lot.

"Nah I'm flying out to New York later today." He said absentmindedly.

"Can you fly out there after? My mom has been asking about you." She said as he kissed his teeth.

"You told your mom why we not together yet?" He asked, easing into the mid afternoon traffic.

"She doesn't even know we're not together." Amber mumbled, looking out the window.

"Why not?" He asked, a hint of amusement in his voice as he briefly looked over at her before putting his eyes back on the road.

"You're an asshole Amar'e." She mugged as he laughed.

"I'm an asshole cause you went to Savannah to cheat after I told you what would happen if you did." He said, shaking his head.

"You could act like you hate me all you want Amar'e like you don't be spending all those late nights at my house instead of with Calina. Or whatever other bitches you got for the week." She retorted, rolling her eyes.