Summer Loving

*This one may actually be the worst...Anyway enjoy the cringe!🥲*

This is it.

This is my last summer in high school.

Probably my last summer ever going to Destin beach.

Mom and Dad have been trying to excite it up to me, but without Cristy, I honestly don't see the point of going.

Cristy is my older sister. She left for college last year and hasn't looked back. She started the tradition of going to Destin.

When she learned to drive, she drove me to the beach for fun one summer. The next year we invited mom to a girl's retreat.

This year since I've been 'different'-as my parents have described it- they decided to make it a family thing. It's so stupid. Nothing will be the same without her.

Cristy has friends who own beach houses that we always rented. I'm pretty sure my parents are planning on staying in a hotel.

"Anna, honey! Have you packed your bags?"

Trudging down the stairs with suitcases in hand, I grumbled back, "Yes, mother!"

"Ok," She turns to look at me, "spill."

"I have no idea in the slightest what you could be talking about." I answer innocently.

She gives a raised eyebrow in response.

"Ok fine! Why do you want to take me to that stupid beach! Why do I have to suffer through a long boring summer with my two boring parents!" I raise my arms over my head, "Am I being punished!? Last I remembered, I'm not the problem child!"

"No, you're not being punished! It's just... we thought... well, since your sister left, you haven't been the same. We just wanted something normal for you. I'm sorry, we don't have to go if it feels like a punishment."

She lowers her head.

My brain is screaming to say 'Thank you!' and then run away, but my heart knows to comfort her. We have all been on edge, and my parents' way of coping was hovering over me. I honestly can't blame them. They are parents, and one of their kids disowned them; it's only natural that they would try everything to protect the other.

"No, Mom, I'm sorry. I was overreacting. It was still annoying, though. We can go."

She practically lit up.

"Great! You can give your dad your bags. I need to get some little things."

She runs off before I can change my mind.

Ok, I'm doing this.

Dad turns around to see me hand my bags to him, "What did you pack, your whole closet?" He chuckles at his joke.

"Not the time, Dad, not the time." I roll my eyes and jump in the middle row seat.

Instinctively I sit behind the driver's seat. Cristy made a rule that I had to sit in there every time because my legs are shorter. I could move, but it just feels right.

After ten minutes, the car is packed, and we're on our way to Destin. This should be an exciting six hours.

***

Ok, more like four and a half hours since Dad was speeding.

At six-thirteen, we pull into a large condo parking space.

Turning back to me, my mom spills her news, "We knew you were probably expecting an old hotel, so we decided to surprise you-"

"We bought a condo right on the beach!" Dad interrupts mom.