Season 1 - Ep TEN

Angie lied that she also had detention so she and Lin went back to school. "Is Mitchell acting weird?" Lin  suddenly questioned. Angie crossed her arms and answered, "no, why?" "She seems more flustered especially around you", Lin stroked her chin, "she barely says anything to anyone other than Jo and I but lately she's been showing concern?" Angie chuckled, "and that is bad how?" "It's just odd. Like there's something she's hiding behind her new act".

"It's called being nice, Lin. We have a history but she doesn't. She's probably trying to find out how I react to things since she's new". Lin pondered on it. "Maybe" she shrugged. Lin went to her detention and Angie went to the girls bathroom.

It was the last place she shadowed from. The magic had to have known that she wanted to enter the shadow world because it led her to the tree. She washed her face hoping for a replay of what happened. She waited and waited but nothing happened. She put her hand on her waist and started pacing.

"You could have called me", Daniel's voice came from thin air, "that's right... you deleted my number after you blocked it". "Stop spying on me, creep". She snapped. "Yet you are the one who wants to talk to the ghost", he appeared in front of her, "quite a show you put on for your friends". "I doubt it. Mitchell gave me this look like she knew I was gonna do this".

"Ah Mitchell! Funny you should mention her. I have a couple questions".

Angie crossed her arms and said, "I know nothing".

"Of course you don't. So oblivious. I feel sorry for her. It must be hard to deal with unrequited love".

"What shit are you going on about? Unrequited love? Look...I have better things to ask you about and I need answers. Honest answers".

"I can't promise that", he smirked, "after all, I am dead". "Whatever". Angie rolled her eyes. She leaned on one of the stalls, "what is this?" She asked.

"Dark magic. I think I made that clear".

"I mean...why does it have a trigger from a common party game?"

"That's how the spell works. It was to protect the people from the magic. It's easier to tell your kids not to play the game than tell them not to perform magic. But kids these days don't listen".

"So, you're saying everyone who has ever played this game got the powers?"

"Nope. It rotates from place to place. I'd like to assume that your clique is the first in this decade which is why it was brought back here".

"Brought back? It was here before? Does it have anything to do with me being a legacy?"

"Yes", he sighed, "truth be told, that is the only thing holding me back from killing you and devouring your soul". "The circle glowed when I drew it earlier", Angie recalled, "you were obviously watching. What does that mean?" "You all underestimate your bond", he said plainly, "you can summon anything with the right words, the right craft, the right place and the right people".

And with that, he was gone. Angie kept thinking about what he said. What did it mean? She thought. She held her chin. "The right words are clearly from the game", she mused, "the right craft could probably mean the diagram. The right place could be somewhere secluded where there won't be distractions and the right people...I've got it!" Angie ran out of the bathroom. Daniel came out from the corner. He smiled sheepishly. He was going to have fun with their next discovery.

Angie broke into the library. She kept looking around for any more magical books. She wanted to get the diagram right without opening the shadow world. They needed more knowledge on the magic. She was moving at incredible speed. Once her search proved useless, she took to mastering the diagram. She grabbed some cardboard papers and went to work.

Her phone was what distracted her from her tenth drawing. She smiled at her work because she was getting really good. It felt almost natural. "Angie, where are you?" Lin said, "I've been checking all the classes and I can't find you". "Oh" she ran her hand through her hair, "we were dismissed some minutes ago. I'm in the library. I have great news". "I can't wait to hear it. Let's meet up front". Lin hung up after that.

Angie piled the papers and clicked her fingers. It burned up without hurting the furniture. "Lin!" Angie called out and hugged her. "Let's get outta here". Lin had texted the others that Angie had a magic emergence. "Are you sure no one would walk in?" Angie asked for the fifth time. "Girl chill! I haven't seen you this stressed since never". Jo replied. "We have to get it right", Angie shook her head, "and I really don't want your family to move. I have many memories in your backyard".

"Yeah!" Lin chuckled, "remember when we camped there?"

"Oh no! That night was embarrassing!" Jo laughed.

"You had it easy. Felicity -bless her soul- she got a marshmallow stuck in her nose. I was scared that her nose would be cut off". Angie smiled, "those were good times". Mitchell stayed quiet as usual. Angie noticed and it made her guilty. 'Unrequited love' Daniel's voice rang in her head. Maybe that's why she's always unwilling to talk. She needs comfort. That guy is a jerk. She thought.

"There!" They had made enough room for the ritual or rite or spell. They didn't know what to call it. "You can draw it, right?" Mitchell asked. "Yeah" Angie took the chalk she had swiped, "I've been practicing". "And you're sure it would work?" Jo asked. She was suspicious of how Angie just suddenly got this great idea. "Probably. It's worth a shot". Angie answered.

They sat in the circle and held their hands. "Just like on the first night, we'll say the chant three times". Angie instructed. They nodded. "Light as a feather", they began, "stiff as a board". After the third time, a spark burned a hole into the wall. "What was that?!" Jo was terrified. "It was supposed to work", Angie shook her head, "I don't understand". "Our thoughts were scattered". Mitchell announced.

They looked at her for more explanation. "If we want our magic to be in sync so must our thoughts", she explained, "I had nothing on my mind. Lin most likely had shoes..." "Guilty as charged. Have you been to the mall lately?" Lin cut in. "Mitchell, you're a genius", Angie smiled, "what do we want the most regarding this?" "Knowledge" they chorused. "Exactly", Angie carried a notebook from her bag and placed it in the middle, "we'll need this".

They started the chant again and this time the power made the whole circle glow. The power fired up the book and it floated up. A golden light shone around it and it floated back to the floor. Angie picked up the book. The front cover had a golden feather drawn on it. "It worked" she smiled. She opened it and a photo fell out. She saw that it was one she was very familiar with.

"What is that doing there?" Jo asked. There were five women in the photo. "Who are they?" Mitchell was the only one who wasn't in shock. "That's Felicity's Mom, Maggie Pitters's mom", Angie recited slowly, "Lin's mom, Jo's mom and...my mom".