02|a golden gift

They were at it again

Mum's shrill voice echoed through the walls, reaching every corner of the house. Dad's voice was almost inaudible, but you could tell he was involved from the sound of broken vessels.

I closed my eyes, and a chuckle emerged. It was becoming comical at this stage. My parents would fight and throw things at each other. And then Mum would make dinner as if nothing happened. The worst was that they expected me to eat with them and pretend everything was normal.

A sigh fled through my nose. As they were busy building up their habit, I developed a new habit; to sneak out of the house.

I packed a few clothes for the days I would stay at Carina's place. The moment you appreciate having a friend whose parents treated you like their own. If only I could disappear from this life for a while. Maybe my parents would realize my absence and remember I existed.

My parents were the talk of the estate. The house that neighbors would point fingers at. The hell where the fire always igniting. They couldn't care less about their reputation and resolve their issues through violence.

We were fine before. They never used to be this loud until I turned sixteen years. That's when it all started. The day I sat at the staircase watching them. Momma wanted to leave the house with me, and dad opposed it. He said if she wanted to leave, she could do it, but I had to stay with him.

I jumped through the window, which became my escape route. Adjusting my bag on the shoulder, I walked through the garden. My movements were quiet as I neared the lawn where Vivo always rested. Poor dog, he had a hard time being a pet in such a troubled family.

Across from our house was another residence, with a balcony facing our place. Three people stood there facing our house as they took notes on what to gossip about over the week. Others were busy walking their dogs around their compounds. They made it clear that they were eavesdropping.

Wearing my hoodie, I stepped out of the gate, leaving Vivo, who made a silent grieving sound. It pained me.

I hauled a taxi, which arrived just when I needed it. Slipping into the back seat, I collapsed on the backrest, feeling a sense of relief. The Billie Elish song continued playing in my earphones.

After giving the driver the address, my eyes blinked shut, and I faded into a dark hole. I desired to understand why my parents changed. A delightful smell interrupted my thoughts in the car. It was soothing, teleporting me to an ocean, triggering my love for the beach. A unique blend of citrus and seaweed emitted a powerful aura of manliness. A smile tugged at my lips. I loved the smell of the car.