03|1st September, 8pm

Marco turned twenty-five

On the evening of his birthday, the two of us were at his house. Marco suggested a simple setting in his house's backyard. It warmed my heart to see that he wanted to enjoy his birthday with me alone.

My dedication to making the relationship work was apparent, given my ability to throw an incredible party. So, I agreed to his proposal of a simple dinner together.

He owned a luxurious beach house, one of a kind in the area. Marco was a rich kid, raised by wealthy parents and now running a business. He took over as the president of one of his father's businesses.

I would lie if I said I knew what kind of business his father owned. I had been careful not to appear snoopy, so I never asked.

The backyard looked gladden in the eyes, complementing the golden dress he sent me. The radiant lights and the candles on the table gave me a certain warmth that made me relax. I admired the commitment he exerted to make the dinner memorable, given that it would mark my first night with a man.

Despite the beautifully arranged dinner, Marco looked unsettled.

He sat before me, clad in a simple flowery sleeveless shirt paired with khaki trousers. The locks of his brown hair could have been perfect if he wasn't running his fingers through it often. I noted he had drained the second glass of wine, despite us seated for less than thirty minutes.

I took a sip of the red wine, wiped my mouth with the table napkin, and broke the silence. I knew it was our first night together and perhaps he felt anxious, but I wanted to reassure him of my readiness.

"The food is so delicious." His chef had prepared some savory gnocchi for the main dish and gelato for dessert.

"Your favorite." He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Do you want more?" He asked, and I shook my head. Clearly, my plate had plenty.

It could have been the dress I didn't wear that made him look all bothered. But in a case like that, he could have been angry and not uncomfortable.

"Is that my birthday present?" He asked and good gracious, I had been expecting to hear him jolt a conversation

He was referring to the white shopping bag I had. It was not his gift but the golden dress he sent me.

I needed to explain why I carried the dress instead of wearing it. It could have been the issue weighing on him; I yearned for my Marco to come back.