Block the Runner

It's a fine day for Bill Watkins. Fortune is smiling at him.

Bill yesterday found out about a "special interactive activity" that they will be doing with Class 3. It turns out that the homeroom teachers of both classes wanted their students to mingle after the Dodge Ball Game roughly a month ago. In this game, Billy's class won against Class 3. It's also where he met a tiny girl who would become his first crush. This girl knew exactly where and how he would throw the ball as if she was reading his mind! Bill had thought about how she was able to do this and was left with no possible explanation but one — as opposed to him, this girl's brain is exceptionally developed. She's his perfect match!

And so Bill was waiting for this opportunity to work with this girl to see how good she really is.

"Alright," said their teacher. Do you have any questions? No one in the class raised their hands.

The door to the gym opened. In it, an old seasoned teacher walked with his students behind him, all dressed in PE uniforms like them. Immediately, Bill saw the tiny girl he's been looking for. The girl's pink tresses were neatly tied up in a ponytail.

"Good morning everyone," the old teacher, Mr. Henderson greeted. The children of Bill's class greeted him too.

Meanwhile, Anya felt as though she was being watched, and looked in the direction of Bill. "Becky, there's the scary guy in dodgeball."

Becky looked at Bill. She also felt tensed, but she immediately drew up the courage to comfort her friend.

The teachers then proceeded to explain the activity. "Today's game is called 'Block the Runner'. We will mix the classes and form two teams. In each round, one team will be the offense whose members will try to score by making their way through the blocks without being tagged. The other team will form a defense to block the offensive team from making it through, aiming to tag as many of the running members as possible. Tagging effectively eliminates a runner from the court. Each team has 10 minutes to get as many members to reach the other side of the court without being tagged."

'I see. Then having longer arms would be an advantage for blocking and tagging the runners. In contrast, someone who is small and quick would be an advantage for the offensive in the field.' Damian Desmond, one of Anya's classmates, thought.

'Then the big guy would be the most despicable defense there is in court. This will be difficult.' Anya heard as he continued to ponder.

"Alright, that's how the rules will be. Again, no foul play. No cursing, no physical aggression, understood?" Mr. Henderson emphasized.

"Understood," the class responded.

"Now, we will be merging and then dividing the class. Regardless of your class assignment, team members are expected to work together."

The teachers took out a bowl and began drawing names. After a few minutes, the two teams were formed. Anya was teamed up with a couple of her classmates, the most she interacted with was Emile who unfortunately was absent that day. Their group was Team A. Becky was put in the other team with Desmond and Ewen. They were Team B. Anya felt alone but promised herself to do her best!

The teams were given 5 minutes to create their strategy. Anya was approached by a huge boy, who introduced himself as Bill.

"Anya remembers you," she said, "you told me to die during the dodgeball game."

Bill was a bit embarrassed, " Uh, yes. I am sorry for that. You are Anya, right?"

"Yes. That's fine. I look forward to playing with you! Let's do our best!" said a determined Anya.