Under Watchful Eyes

Anya and Becky stood out of their cabin refreshed from the tree planting and ready to go to Midori for lunch.

"Yehey! Much the highlight of our day!" Becky excitedly said.

"I'm excited!"

"Let's go, Anya!"

As the two walked, they saw about four men in black office attire and shades disembark a white van. The two thought they are bodyguards for some respected person. In front of the van was a limousine.

"Is some politician here?" Becky wondered.

"Anya has no idea," Anya replied.

They passed and walked to the restaurant's front door. They were greeted by its cheerful staff who opened the door for them. Anya was amazed to see the interior. The walls were transparent and clean that one can see the outside from within. The ceilings were adorned with vines and hanging plants that dangled from above. Flower plants were planted in different areas which added a hint of color all around. Some butterflies flew, too. The place sends a magical feeling.

"Woooowwww!" Anya exclaimed. Her awestruck face delighted her friend.

"See? I told you it's so nice in here," Becky said. She took her friend's hand and pulled her to the wooden counter. Anya's head looked all over while she let foot walk to follow Becky.

"Blackbell," Emile called. The two girls looked and saw Emile waving at them by the counter. Ewen and Damian were there, too. In front of them were lots of water bottles of white, black, and gray colors.

"What's that?" Anya asked.

"They don't use plastic or styrofoam cups here. They give out reusable cups that serve as souvenirs. Each one of us receives one," Ewen explained.

"Really? Then I want the white one!"

"I thought you'd go for black, Anya! I'm classy, I want the gray one," Becky said.

"Emile and I will be getting black," Ewen said. He turned to Damian, who looked like he is in a bad mood. "How about you, bossman?"

"White," he curtly replied without looking.

Becky immediately noticed his strange behavior.

"What's up Desmond? Earlier you had the nerve to suddenly make an assistant, now you're acting like that," Becky asked Damian.

"Eh? Stop getting on my nerves, Blackbell," Damian responded without looking, to Becky and Anya's surprise.

"Grrr..." Becky's annoyance is flaring.

"Blackbell, shut it," Ewen said.

"Yeah. And don't talk to Damian like that," Emile added.

Concerned about his current attitude, Anya listened to Damian's thoughts.

'I must... I can't... father... Midori... school... not now...' Anya noticed again his jumbled thoughts.

'Something must've happened,' Anya thought. She walked towards Damian. Damian saw her approach.

'Don't come near me,' he thought. Anya heard his mind but refused to pay heed. She stopped to face Damian on his left.

"What, Shrimp? I'm not in the mood to talk right now," Damian said without looking.

"Sy-on boy," Anya held his arm as she tipped her toes to reach his ear, to Damian's surprise. "Did something happen? Are you alright?" she said. Damian finally looked to his left and saw a pair of curious emerald eyes up close.

'Wha- why is she so clueless about personal space?' Damian stammered in his thought as he gazed at the tiptoeing girl beside him. Damian's cheeks started to turn pinkish. Realizing how he's been reacting, he tilted his body to the right in a half-hearted attempt to move away from her.