Subconscious Thoughts: A Boy's Dream

It was past five o'clock. Damian went to his couch to rest his tired body. He never intended to, but he was sucked into the vortex of sleep all at once.

~~~~~

When he opened his eyes, Damian found himself standing before his father Donovan in the Desmond mansion— his brother, Demetrius, beside him. He was shocked to see their reflection in the mirror— he was as tall as his brother, had lush brown hair, strong jaws, and broad shoulders. He wore the signature Desmond attire.

"The war has finally come," Donovan said to his sons.

'War? What war? What's happening?' Damian thought.

"Aye, Father. We have done our utmost to prepare for this very day. I know we will triumph and Westalis will fall once and for all," Demetrius replied.

"Yes. They may have stalled us for a while with their little ploy, but what a small situation to not easily overturn," Donovan said.

He grasped the stem of his glass wine between his thumb and forefingers and turned to Damian.

"Damian, you have proven yourself worthy of the Desmond name. You have truly grown into a fine man. Eden did well in nurturing you. Now, you are ready to act according to our plans for Ostania," he said to his second son.

Damian swelled with pride as he received such praise. "Yes, Father. Tell me what to do and you shall not be disappointed," he said determinedly.

"Hm," Demetrius smiled.

"Very well," Donovan swirled his wine gently. "As you may know, in a few days, the truce with Westalis will be over and we will be at war."

"War? Will they break the truce?" Damian asked.

Donovan laughed. Demetrius responded in his stead.

"We, Ostania, will take over Westalis. We will be breaking the truce," Demetrius clarified. Damian's eyes widened.

Donovan took a sip of his wine.

"We will put Westalis to their knees. Ostania will dominate the world, Damian," Donovan said. He turned his back and walked to the window. "That is the purpose of this war."

'They prepared for war? They will break the peace between our country and Westalis? Haven't they thought about the consequences?' Damian clearly knew he fully disagrees internally.

Yet, Damian kept his opposition to himself. He refrained from saying anything that would throw his father off. He just can't and won't, now that he's earned his praise.

However, this was the first time he saw his father in this light, and the first time he ever knew he had such radical plans. He knew he was a renowned Ostanian politician and he's always believed that Donovan acted in Ostania's best interests.

But why wage war when staying in peace is an option? Why go on the path of death and destruction? Is this the kind of man who he wishes would acknowledge him? Why should he care for the favor of someone whose values do not align with his? His head filled with many thoughts as he contemplated his conflict.

"I shall require your assistance for the first time in this very room, second son," Donovan addressed Damian.

"What is the assistance that you wish from me, Father?" Damian asked.

~~~~~

The scene changed. Damian suddenly found himself barricaded in a park amidst the buildings in an unfamiliar town.

"Where am I?" he said.

"We are at Heathen, a town along the northern border of Ostania and Westalis, sir. We have started the operation," the soldier said.