A Day Without Anya

The school bell rang at Eden Academy to signify the start of morning classes. Class 3's teacher came in as soon as it sounded, and started the morning roll call.

"Anya Forger," the teacher looked at the empty seat beside Becky. Only silence followed.

Becky wondered as she struggled to focus on the lesson. 'Anya didn't tell me she'd be absent. Did something happen? I'd better call her later.'

The morning lessons were quiet and uninteresting for Becky without her friend. No sleepyhead she would elbow to stop snoring and no one to share her scribbles with— the class has never been so lifeless. How she longed for the bell to ring once more!

After four grueling hours, it's finally time for lunch. Their Science teacher gave his final reminders.

"Lastly, you will be working as buddies for our visit to the Planetarium next week. In random, the pairs are as follows." The teacher drew pieces of paper from a small box and called out names.

"....Becky Blackbell and Ewen Egeberg... Emile Elman and Damian Desmond."

"Now. Since Eden will be sending Elman next week to the Ostania Inter-academy Painting Competition, Damian Desmond's partner will be Anya Forger." He turned to Damian. "I expect you to communicate this to her."

"Mmm." Damian nodded. 'Perfect!' He thought.

The announcement was followed by murmurs. Becky sighed. 'Dishing insults at Anya again? These girls are so jealous and pathetic,' she thought.

"That is all. Morning class dismissed."

One by one, Becky's classmates left for the cafeteria. Becky was approached by Damian and his friends.

"Blackbell," Damian called her out.

Becky automatically rolled her eyes at the boy. "What is it, Desmond? Make it quick, I don't feel like talking to you."

"Tsk. Nevermind." Damian and his friends left.

'What was that about?' Becky frowned. 'Does he want me to tell Anya about next week? Well, I would tell her regardless.' She finished fixing her things and went to the cafeteria.

Becky sat on a corner away from everyone and enjoyed her meal alone. From her seat, she saw Ewen and Emile seemingly discussing something with Damian. Becky squinted to see their facial expressions better. 'What are they up to this time? Are they... persuading him... or something?' Damian took his phone out to call someone. As soon as he spoke, he went outside. His friends were left chuckling.

Becky took a sip of her drink. 'If Anya were here, she would be saying hi to Desmond and we will be bickering as we eat.' She took another bite of her food. 'It definitely is sad without her. I wonder if she's okay... Yeah I'd call her after this.'

Becky decided to go back to their classroom. As she took a final sip, a red-faced Damian returned to his table. She walked past them and overheard Ewen seemingly asking about Damian's phone call. All she heard were fading murmurs and chuckles as she continued to walk down the corridor.

~~~~~

"Forger residence, this is Loid."

"Hi Mr. Forger! This is Becky Blackbell. Is Anya home?"

Loid fixed his tie. "Hi Becky. Thank you for checking on Anya. Anya is asleep. Her fever is high since this morning."

"I see. Is she going to be okay?" Becky began to worry.

Loid smiled. "Yor and I are looking closely after her. Although her appetite is poor, she took all her medicines."

Loid continued, "She even said, 'Anya needs to be well, Becky is waiting for me' as she took the bitter ones." Becky giggled on the other end.