six| mind games

It takes three of my very best hair ties to tighten my ponytail up enough so that it will do the 'swoosh' when I walk

Working in a crappy old cafe sure does take its toll on me. And the simple things, like watching in the window's reflection as my high pony swings every time I move, really does makes me feel better.

It's the tiny, unimportant things like that which help get me through my 10 hour shift at that hole in the wall.

"You need a ribbon." Cece grumbles from the couch in a daze. "The exposed hair ties are not cute."

I hate it when she's right.

I immediately begin to rummage through the bathroom cabinet draws for my favourite white ribbon. It's silky, long enough to be tied in a bow and almost certainly lucky.

I bought it on Saint Patrick's day after all. It's filled with the luck of the Irish.

"You're awfully perceptive for a woman that staggered home at 3AM." I muse when my fingers finally pull the white satin out of the dump draw.

Cecilia hums and guzzles down half her bottle of water. "You want the truth?"

Without looking in the mirror, I knot the ivory ribbon around my ponytail in a little bow and slip out of the bathroom. I drop down on the couch next to my best friend and sigh at her ragged state.

Smudged mascara, smeared red lipstick, hair in all kind of disarray. And I'm 90% sure she's not wearing any panties either.

But what else can I expect from Cece Hastings after a long night of partying?

"You know I always want the truth, C." I chuckle and pass her the TV remote that she's desperately trying to reach for and whining when she misses.

Once in her hand, she flicks from channel to channel before completely shutting the thing off.

Well, that was successful.

"I think I might still be drunk." She admits, her words slurring together and eyes dancing across the cramped apartment. "Either that or there's 3 of you in the room."

I can't help but crack a smile at her ridiculous antics as she reaches her palm out and feels around my face.

"This is the real you, right, Novie? Are the rest just evil clones?"

Leave it to this woman to still be totally hammered at 8 O'Clock in the morning.

"Are you going to be okay today?"