twenty | girlfriend

Disclaimer- this chapter is set around Christmas..

IK ITS AUGUST BUT the timeline means the story is in December rn and I can't just gloss over the holidays?

I've tried to make it less overtly christmassy but apologise in advance 🫶

This is the very last thing I want to do. In fact, I couldn't think of anything much fucking worse right now.

This is my own personal form of hell.

Apologising.

Even the word pisses me the fuck off.

Maybe it's because I associate it with all of the empty 'I'm sorry's' I've received over the years. From my ex, my father, friends and teammates that have screwed me over for fame or money.

To me, an 'apology' just means words with no action. And that is the very last thing I want to give Nova.

Because I actually am sorry.

I'm still angry, I'm still disappointed, I'm still fucking infuriated by how awkward and shy she's been acting towards me these past few weeks.

But I am sorry for how I spoke to her. For how I let my anger get the better of me.

"Nova?" I knock on her open bedroom door, leaning my shoulder against the wooden frame.

Her fingers halt their rapid typing on her keyboard. She lifts her head from it's bent position but doesn't spin around in the desk chair.

"Hey." I say to her, my voice coming out all rough.

"Uhm," Nova clears her throat, slowly spinning around in the chair to face me. "Hi?"

I don't say anything at first. Instead, I just study her.

My eyes trace the contours of her perfectly sculpted face and her glossy lips. My fingers itch to take her golden hair out of it's high ponytail and ease out the knots. My mind races at how beautiful she looks without makeup hiding her freckles.

She's stunning.

But she's also a pain in the fucking ass. And those two facts are in constant conflict with one other.

"What're you up to?" I ask hesitantly.

Nova blinks back at me in surprise. "What am I up to?" She repeats slowly.

It's like she can't quite believe my fucking nerve. And fair enough to her. I'm just as shocked as she is.

We've barely spoken a single word to one another since our big bust up in the park 10 days ago.

Since that damn argument, living here has been like we're both holding a fully loaded gun. Anything can set the other one off.

Yet, all of a sudden, I'm stood in her doorway asking about her college assignments? That's beyond fucking suspicious.