twenty one | pillow wall

It was Christmas Eve 13 years ago, back when I was a small seven year old girl with missing teeth and 2 stubby, blonde, pigtails

It was Christmas Eve 13 years ago, back when I was a small seven year old girl with missing teeth and 2 stubby, blonde, pigtails. My Mom- as she always did per her Christmas Eve ritual- had the whole house bustling with our entire neighbourhood. My Dad was in perfect health back then and was busy in the living room, no doubt entertaining the other men with one of his crazy stories. Mom was held up in the dining room with Mrs Wence- arguing over who makes the best stuffing.

Mrs Wence would always win that one.

I was forced to play in the snow with the other kids- Dad spewing something about how 'socialising is a good for you, Superstar'. We had set up a pretty intense snowball fight and I was so excited to finally be involved with the big kids.

But, as she usually did, Arizona butted in and totally ruined it for me. She told them all that I was too young to play, too much of a baby and so I got shunned away from the big kids.

After that, I couldn't exactly go and play with my baby brother and the other toddlers so, naturally, I began wondering around the bustling house like a lost puppy.

I found my way into the empty kitchen, where lying on the stove was a freshly baked tray of gingerbread men cookies.

My weakness.

I couldn't help myself. I couldn't resist. I had to try them. So my chubby little fingers reached out for the tray and I smuggled 4 cookies into my pocket.

Twenty minutes later, I had ate those 4 from my pocket and 2 more from the tray. And I felt no guilt.

That is, of course, until my Mom came into the kitchen and discovered almost half of the tray gone. She was nothing short of furious. And beyond suspicious that I was the corporate.

When she found me tucked away with my Dad in the living room, I knew I was screwed. But when she outright asked me 'Did you eat any of those cookies'.

I lied.

I lied straight to her face. And the guilt I felt afterwards was almost crippling. All over a couple of mediocre, at best, cookies.

If that was my guilt after telling a little white lie, I dread to think about what's to come after this entire scam.

This lie has gone way deeper than any cookie-thief incident. This lie now involves his amazing Mom, his beautiful sister, his hilarious brother.

All of these people have been pulled into our game. Our lie. And it all rests on my shoulders, well, mine and Logan's. But I get the feeling that lying doesn't bother him all that much.

"This it is." Logan coughs, clearing his throat as our walk down the hallway comes to an end. "My old bedroom."

I nod silently and wait as he slowly turns the door handle and pushes it open for me to walk through first. My lips twitch at the small show of chivalry but I don't dare speak.