𝟏𝟔 - 𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐑

WARNING: there's so much drama in this chapter, but we ain't at the climax of the story yet lolThere will be angst for a bit but it will not last forever so hang in there with me </3

There will be angst for a bit but it will not last forever so hang in there with me </3

It was eleven. I sat on the couch, staring blankly at the door, simply waiting for Alhaitham to come home. I hadn't moved since Ayato had arrived. Although my perception of time had now grown warped and blurry, I heard the muffled ring of the grandfather clock signaling the time.

Tick.

I listened to it constantly ticking away.
It hadn't seemed like that long had passed, but suddenly the clock only rang once. It's one A.M. and he isn't home? He probably won't come back tonight.

I stood up from the couch and hobbled over to the stairs. Ah, my legs hurt. By the time I had made it up the stairs to the second floor, they collapsed out from under me. Fatigue ran through my limbs, most likely due to stress and anxiety more so than lack of sleep. The world began to spin as my feelings of anxiety washed over me. Liar. The man that I had trusted, that had seen me at my weakest, was nothing but a liar. Perhaps I should've seen it coming, and stopped being so naive. After all, he had never shown any particular fondness towards me. He hardly told me anything about himself. We've only been living together for a little while, so I should've expected as much.

Anger, self-loathing, and pessimism overwhelmed my senses further, my brain beginning to shut down along with my consciousness.

At the same time, I felt my vision blurring black starting to rim the edges. In the midst of my inner turmoil, there stood at the bottom of the stairs the blurry figure of my boss.

"(L/n)... are... okay?" His voice was fading in and out, and I reached out towards him. This must be an illusion. If this was an illusion, then I'm sure it was okay to say whatever I wanted. I heard a faint thud, and saw his suitcase fall to the wooden floor, the contents spilling out as he raced up the stairs. That's right, he would never... do something like this...

The mirage was now crouched over me, his eyes filled with unusual worry. "(L/n), are you alright?" His deep voice began to fill with desperation as he continued to shout. "Please answer me." My eyes began to flutter closed as a horrible cramp filled my chest. "(Y/n), please. Hang in there. I'll get you to the hospital. I'm sorry for not coming home, damn it...!"

"Alhaitham," I felt my fists clench with the last portion of my strength tears welling in my now shut eyes, "is this all a joke to you?"

Then the world went dark.

Liar.

To find out that all this time, my boss had been a liar. Ayato had whispered those words into my ear. He had told me the truth of what had happened back then. And that Alhaitham had known. He knew and still refused to tell me anything. Even after seeing me crying over my mother, he had refused to tell me.