𝟐𝟎 - 𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑

"Lilah!" Nicholas let out a scream of agony as the bullet pierced her flesh

"Lilah!" Nicholas let out a scream of agony as the bullet pierced her flesh. All he saw was her blood seeping through her dress, blooming like a flower in the spring. Despite the intense injuries he suffered, Nicholas rushed to her side, frantically pressing his hand onto her chest to stop the bleeding.

Lilah's eyes were pained as she stared up at Nicholas. "Are... you alright?"

"Of all the times to worry about me!" Nicholas embraced her. The bullet wound was too severe and she had already lost so much blood... at this rate—!"

"Nicholas, listen to me," she could hardly speak, but managed to force out a few words. "The truth is, I—"

I was watching the scene play out with baited breath until suddenly, my console blacked out.

"Are you fucking kidding?" I swore out of frustration, for I hadn't even noticed the low battery as I was so invested in the storyline. I was playing through one of the otomes that Alhaitham had gifted me along with the merchandise, and it was surprisingly good. I hadn't expected his taste to be so refined.

After a few minutes of pondering, I came to the conclusion to just let my console charge and go downstairs to find something more entertaining to do. I still was essentially quarantined inside the mansion, but it wasn't that awful. Thankfully I had stopped Alhaitham from announcing his lie to the press, and everything went on as usual. Well, it would be, but...

I noticed that my boss had been avoiding me as of late. He had seemed fine when I first arrived, but he tended to dismiss our conversations and leave me to myself for several hours at a time. Since I wasn't in a good enough condition to cook yet, he managed to end up skirting out of our promised dinners as well.

If he really was avoiding me because I was a burden, then I would understand, but honestly he was giving such mixed signals that it just left me utterly baffled. When I was in the hospital, he had said that he would rather have me as his 'wife' than anyone else, but now he was acting as if I was just a shallow acquaintance.

"Men," I sighed to myself and threw on my robe, heading downstairs. As expected, Alhaitham was nowhere to be found. It was around noon so he was essentially guaranteed to be at the office right now.

I grabbed a snack and headed up to my room, but that was when I noticed that Alhaitham's room light was on despite it being the middle of the day. Is he not at work?

My curiosity got the best of me and I walked down the hall, creaking open the doorway with my bag of chips under my shoulder.

"Mr. Alhaitham?" I craned my neck to look inside, not wanting to actually step into his space. He wasn't in his room, so I assumed that he must have left the light on by accident. I'll go turn it off. Walking over to the lamp, I happened to catch a glance of one of the documents on his nightstand.