𝟑𝟕 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐗

TW: SUICIDE AND GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF BRUTALITY

*There are shifting perspectives in this chapter. It goes Heizou (1st)--->(Y/n) (1st)--->Heizou (3rd)--->Alhaitham (3rd) in case anyone is confused, but it's easy to decipher when using context.

The canonical ending will be the first in this chapter, but there will also be a bad ending at the end of this chapter.
*the bad ending isn't canon

'Say, (Y/n), do you believe that someone should be held accountable for their crimes no matter what the reason?'

    The idiotic question slipped from my lips at that moment, a fatal error in which I revealed my innermost fallacy. Perhaps that fallacy was simply a fallacy in itself—but even so, it wouldn't change the meaning of those words.

    To best describe my sentiments in an understandable way, let's take the common approach of providing an example.

    In a small town in the countryside there are only two farmers, both of which have a large plot of land and a deep hatred for each other. One day Farmer A messes with Farmer B's soil, rendering his plants unable to grow. When the latter finds out about the occasion, he is filled with rage.

    'How dare that man spoil my crops?' Farmer B laments in fury. The rage built up inside him couldn't be quelled so as a result, he soils Farmer A's plot—tearing up his plants and dampening the soil to the point where the plants couldn't thrive anymore.

    Farmer A is enraged when he finds that a large portion of his crops had been defiled and ruined, so he vows to enact revenge on Farmer B to get back at him for the occasion. Both of them continue to harm each other's plots repeatedly until there were no longer any plants growing.

    As a result of this, the farm animals died of starvation and the townspeople grew starved as well—yet the farmers were so consumed in their feud that they didn't pay attention to the suffering of others. In the end, Farmer A burned down Farmer B's house, killing Farmer B's wife and child.
    Stricken by grief, Farmer B did the same to Farmer A, but his slopiness resulted in the fire spreading to the rest of the village and burning down innocent people's abodes.

    Now for a quick question: who do you think is in the wrong?

    I implore you to answer to the best of your ability.

.  .  .

    I sat shivering in the cold, dark room. The concept of time had grown warped and I couldn't manage to grasp exactly how long I had been sitting here all alone, the silence growing into taunting strings that pulled at my nerves relentlessly.

    Ever since Heizou had left, no one else had entered the room. The ropes that had been tied around my limbs were impossible for me to wriggle out from: after what seemed like several hours, I gave up on the struggle once my skin started to bleed from being rubbed raw.