𝟑𝟏 - 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

Like a gentle flower in the spring, the sun blooms into the afternoon sky, its tender warmth enveloping the word below

Like a gentle flower in the spring, the sun blooms into the afternoon sky, its tender warmth enveloping the word below. Creatures forging for food, predators on the hunt, and humans milling around in the daylight all are blanketed in this irresistible warmth. Hues of blue are etched across the sky, clouds plastered on top with the fluffy softness of cotton candy. The world was truly beautiful and wondrous—a place where each and every lifeform shared the warmth of the same sun.

The sun would never change no matter what sort of hell occurred beneath its gentle blanket. No matter what travesties occurred, it would continue to rise and fall as a human inhaled and exhaled.

    Despite absorbing the light of the sun, some people aren't satisfied. They wish to wreak havoc on the natural order and ruin people's lives for their own personal gain—despite the consequences that would follow. Detestable people like that didn't deserve the sun's kindness nor its warmth. They should be punished for their sins, the horrible atrocities that they allowed and reinforced onto so many people's lives.

I stared down at the man in front of me. His eyes were open yet unfocused, the pain he had endured over the course of several days likely caused so much emotional and physical shock that his puny brain couldn't muster the willpower to focus. This man took away so many innocent people's lives, dragging them into the mud and stomping them down while laughing at their suffering.

This man deserved the most painful death that this world could offer away from the sun and its warmth, trapped in the dark cold space where no one would hear his last words.

His lips trembled softly, a meek whisper of a plea escaping as his breath billowed into the air. Please just kill me, his unfocused expression seemed to beg this of me. Most people would end the man's life out of sympathy, but I stared at him with cold indifference.

"A man such as yourself doesn't deserve the blessing of a swift death."
    It's not like I was doing this because I enjoyed it; moreover it was more to make that person's death feel less painful. The man's fear slithered up my arm like a centipede, leaving a ticklish and disgusting trace on my skin.

.  . .

After Alhaitham and I forged a new contract, it was time for me to start looking into the vast amount of information he possessed and take advantage of his position as much as I possibly could.

"In your mind, can you think of anyone who has had a connection with my father that seems the most suspicious?" I posed the question knowing very well that Alhaitham would likely refuse to give an answer.

But to my surprise, he replied: "The only person I know that correlated with your father on multiple occasions is Kamisato Ayato."

    "Why do you look so shocked? Is Ayato being a possible suspect particularly shocking to you?"