20 - Abuse of Power

Gasp... gasp

A student rushed up the stairs running his breath ragged. Practically falling onto the floor in his haste, the person bolted down the hallways and slammed open a thin door arched in a spear shape.

"Albert! Did you hear?" he heaved, the sweater stuck on his chest weighing like lead.

Albert Wolint snapped his head to the door, shocked. Recognizing who was by the door, he quickly composed his face with a condescending frown.

"Next time, knock." he berated and moved from the window to one of the chairs of the small room, crossing his legs. The room was quaint and unlit, illuminated only by its small windows. Old dusty book shelves lined the walls holding not books but odd little trinkets. There were two coffee tables with detailed rugs worn out from time underneath. At the back of the room were stacks of boxes on a tattered couch, the arrangement left to collect dust.

This space was the old club room of the gardening club, but ever since they've relocated to a larger area this room's been mainly used for storage. It was on the quieter side of the academy, so Albert would often pass time in this more or less forgotten area.

The student lowered his head slightly. "Sorry, but did you hear the news?"

Albert narrowed his eyes, muddled. "What news?"

"Sorin Ceylon beat Kayson Nevoid!"

Albert's face went through a bunch of changes, from indifference, to digesting the words, to realization, and to confusion. In the end, his voice barely came out as a whisper.

"...What?"

"Mhm!"

"When??"

"Yesterday by the C&W gym!"

"And you only bothered telling me this now?!"

"Uhm.. yes?"

Albert's space blue eyes deadpanned at his inefficient reporter who fidgeted with embarrassment. Dropping his head, he stood up and brushed his light blue hair back with a sigh.

The student pursed his lips and meekly questioned with a curious smile tugging at his lips. "What are you planning to do?"

Albert stuck out a thumb and pointed at himself, a vigorous motivation lighting up.

"Obviously I'm going to get our honour back!"

✧ ✦

"No." Refused Sorin. Packing up and slinging his bag off the chair, the male walked off. Leaving a bewildered Albert behind.

"Why??" Albert quickly chased after him, walking at a moderate pace behind Sorin.

"I'm not fighting you." He reaffirmed.

"But why?"

Stopping dead in his tracks, Sorin turned around and faced Albert, unimpressed.

"Do you seriously not know why?" He raised a brow.

Albert faltered, his brain trying to fetch an answer to that question. "...You're.. scared?" He cringed.

Sorin shook his head. "No, your family's too troublesome."

Albert gaped, offended. "Hey! I will not stand for insult to the Wolint Household."

Sorin sighed exasperatedly. "This is exactly what I mean! Your family's too prideful, and if I were to beat you they would never leave me be."

"If it's a fair right, why would we resort to such shameless tactics? Don't spout propaganda, Ceylon." Albert sneered, navy eyes glaring into silver.

"I'm not—nevermind, I am not fighting you." He pinched his glabella and sped down the hallways. Unwelcomed footsteps coming from behind him.